Executive Director - CUbit Quantum Initiative
The University of Colorado Boulder’s CUbit Quantum Initiative seeks to appoint a new Executive Director. Situated in Colorado’s growing Front Range, this is an outstanding opportunity to craft the future of quantum information science and engineering. We are a cross-campus effort that uses the university’s prominence while partnering with regional universities, national laboratories, and link closely with quantum-intensive companies. As a strategic priority of both the University of Colorado Boulder (CUB) and the U.S. government; you will play a meaningful role in the leadership of CUbit by setting its overall strategic direction, cultivating key external relationships, and facilitating the development of quantum discoveries and applications through research, education, and technology commercialization. The Executive Director reports to the Vice Chancellor for Research & Innovation.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The CUbit Quantum Initiative is a multidisciplinary research thrust at CU Boulder dedicated to the development and advancement of thriving research. We have four technology pillars: Quantum sensing and metrology, quantum networks and communications, Quantum Matter and Dynamics, and Quantum Computing and Simulation, each led jointly by scientists and engineers, and each targeting ambitious advances. CU Boulder has an outstanding history of accomplishment in quantum, including its recent selection as one of just three NSF-funded Quantum Leap Challenge Institutes and its four quantum-based Nobel Prizes. CUbit spans the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Engineering and Applied Science, and JILA, a joint institute of CU Boulder and the National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST). The university is rapidly growing faculty capacity in quantum science and engineering, adding to an already world-class roster that includes more than 30 faculty members as well as a vibrant and motivated community of postdoctoral scholars and graduate students. https://www.colorado.edu/initiative/cubit/
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
You will be charged with expanding the quantum research enterprise at CU Boulder through the leadership of interdisciplinary research; attracting external sponsors at the national, state, and local levels; accelerating the careers of CU faculty and researchers; and engaging key partners in long-term strategic planning.
Specific duties include:
- Provide the vision and operational support to coordinate both internally among themselves and externally with industry, federal agencies, foundations, and collaborative bodies such as the Quantum Economic Development Consortium.
- Lead and assist existing programs to expand their scope, impact, visibility, and funding.
- Serve as a dynamic and effective advocate for campus-wide confederation, to university administration, to industry, and to officials at the state and federal levels.
- Develop practical approaches to foster more interdisciplinary research and education between various avenues. These approaches include quantum seminar series, university-industry meetup hours, internships and fellowships, and a campus-wide website dedicated to quantum, internships, and fellowships, etc.
What We Can Offer
We can offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Innovative. Be Strategic. Be Boulder.
What We Require
Ph.D. in physics, chemistry, quantum information, or engineering.
What You Will Need
- Ability to be a leading authority in quantum broadly, and have a demonstrated ability to maintain a respected research program.
- Be a forward-thinking leader with proven leadership skills in academic, research institutions, and/or other professional settings with excellent communication abilities.
- Have a strong record of engagement with external constituents in government, industry, and private foundations, both nationally and internationally.
- Be enthusiastic with faculty, staff, students, government and industry partners, and promote collaborative efforts.
- Demonstrate involvement and/or expertise in leading multiple major academic, national laboratory, and/or industrial institutions in the conduct of research in quantum information science or engineering.
What We Would Like You To Have
At least 10 years’ experience in an academic/research setting.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Review of applications will begin on Wednesday, September 30th and will continue until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Engineering Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Physics & Space Sciences Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder