District College and Career Counselor
District College and Career Counselor
3600 Redbud Blvd, Public Safety Training Center
McKinney, Texas, 75069
We are searching for an experienced District College and Career Counselor
Provide comprehensive student support services within an academic/workforce/continuing education (CE) unit or at an assigned district campus. Provide academic advising, degree planning and degree audit assistance for current and prospective students. Additional position requirements may include providing assistance with third-party billing and basic financial aid information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide comprehensive student support services to an academic/workforce/CE unit at a district campus.
- Essential functions will include credit and non-credit advising, career guidance, educate students on evaluating degree progress and establish and maintain rapport and positive working relationships with academic departments.
- Educate students and parents about Student and Enrollment Services processes (admissions, advising, ACCESS, veterans, testing, financial aid, CE, career center and third party billing), provide college and career counseling and guidance and appropriate referrals to other college and community resources, as needed.
- Provide a bridge of support for a student population that is located in a credit and non-credit unit or campus that is distinct and in need of specialized advising and academic coaching in order to maximize the persistence and completion rates for the student success goals of the district.
- Prepare reports and track key assessment data regarding results and outcomes. Compare outcomes over time and by program. Establish and maintain tracking and reporting processes. Must be able to assess current operations and provide evaluative feedback in an effort to improve student outcomes to meet strategic goals of the College District.
- Participate in vision and strategic planning, and goal setting of the College.
- Research and maintain current information regarding labor market trends and the occupational outlook for a wide range of careers.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records (in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), organizational plans and personnel actions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all duties and maintain all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
Master’s degree in Counseling, Education, Social Science or related field from a regionally accredited institution and two (2) years of related experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Preferred experience in a career center or student development/affairs setting which involved academic and career counseling, and demonstrated knowledge of career counseling through the utilization of computerized assessments.
Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) preferred.**
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of all various college departments and degree programs
- Knowledge of the assigned academic division
- Knowledge of prerequisite courses, grades and other requirements needed for applying to degree programs
- Knowledge of transfer requirements to a 4 year bridge program or other 4 year degree programs
- Knowledge of District rules, policies, and practices
- Knowledge of University Partners' transfer requirements
- Knowledge Collin College prerequisites
- Knowledge of transfer equivalencies
- Knowledge of possible degree options
- Knowledge of veteran services, financial aid and third party billing
- Must have highly effective interpersonal skills
- Organizational skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to direct the student to the appropriate advisor in various departments
- Ability to assist students with TSI testing, developmental education, Dual Credit, Probation/warning the admissions process, TWC, VA assistance, etc
- Ability to offer some financial aid information
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt to new software applications
- Ability to effectively communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Ability to establish a connection with the student who is struggling academically and to help him or her to formulate an action plan to maintain satisfactory progress
- Ability to suggest appropriate methods of remediation
- Able to work varied hours to include days, evenings and Saturdays
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly having to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for the Sedentary Work category and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated Light Work. Positions in this class typically include talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions, plus stooping, kneeling, crouching, and reaching. Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment. Little physical effort required.
***This is a Security Sensitive position. Therefore candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.***
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
Employment Type: Full-time Staff
Compensation Type: Annual
Compensation Range: $47,353.00 - 54,456.00
For any employment questions, please contact HR at (972) 985-3783 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Collin College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in McKinney
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in McKinney
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in McKinney
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in McKinney
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in McKinney