Postdoctoral Researcher in Creative AI
- Unique opportunity to work on an ARC-funded project, at the Designing with AI Lab, exploring how explainable AI can be applied to creative domains
- Located on the Camperdown Campus, Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning
- Full-time, 2 Year fixed term with a base salary of $96,616K - $103,139K p.a., plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
As the Postdoctoral Researcher in Creative AI you will join our Designing with AI Lab, an interdisciplinary group of computer scientists, musicians, artists and designers investigating applications of machine learning to design and the creative professions. You’ll work on an Australian Research Council (ARC) funded project exploring how generative machine learning can explain, justify and contextualise its output.
This is a fantastic opportunity to collaborate with a team of dedicated and passionate computer scientists and designers who have a strong vision for shaping the future of human--machine creative collaboration. You’ll imagine new ways of interacting with generative AI, prototype them in domains like music and sketching, and test them with real, expert creative professionals.
You’ll be afforded the opportunity to have strong input into the direction of the project and its outcomes.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher in Creative AI who possesses:
- a PhD degree in machine learning, computational creativity, computer science, artificial intelligence, or a cognate discipline
- a track record of research excellence resulting in (individual or collaborative) publications of high quality in leading conferences and journals within your field of research
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- a demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in an international team to meet deadlines and achieve project goals.
Additionally, we are seeking applicants who possess the following desirable criteria:
- experience working with state-of-the-art techniques in explainable and/or generative AI
- experience with computational creativity and/or creative AI
- experience with a human-centered approach to designing, developing and testing interactive AI-powered systems.
The Design discipline within the Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning brings together academics in computing, design, humanities, and business to ask how good design can make lives better. We're an eclectic group of researchers with focuses as diverse as AI, novel interface technologies, design thinking and design innovation. Come join a diverse team of passionate people envisioning the smart and connected future.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 8,100 academic and non-academic staff who support over 73,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
The University of Sydney encourages flexible working arrangements, which will be considered for this role.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit https://sydney.edu.au/about-us/careers-at-sydney.html and search by the reference number 1007/0820F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Sunday 27 September 2020
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Post-Doc $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Australia
- Arts Post-Doc $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Australia
- Design & Graphic Arts Post-Doc $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Australia
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Post-Doc $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Australia
- Engineering Post-Doc $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Australia