Director of Institutional Research
Under the direction of the Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and Chief Diversity Officer, the Director of Institutional Research will be a champion for data-informed decision-making, institutional planning and policy formation. The Director plays a major role in promoting a culture that relies upon data to assess the effectiveness of all programs, services, and processes as well as the College's overall progress in reaching its strategic goals. To that end, the Director should be adept at telling stories with data and using data for visualization. Rhodes is committed to providing an environment that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive. The Director will keep abreast of key issues that affect historically-underrepresented groups and utilize a broad array of institutional research tools and methodologies to support decisions related to diversity, inclusion, equity and access within all areas of the College. Job Duties
- Oversee the College's external reporting, internal reporting, and analysis in support of institutional assessment, planning, and decision-making. Prepare institutional responses to internal and/or external queries such as faculty salary surveys, employment statistics, enrollment statistics and projections.
- Address data information and decision support needs of all segments of the campus community; understand currently existing data and its relevance for answering institutional questions; assist stakeholders in developing and refining research questions.
- Advise the President and Senior Leadership Team on data needs for institutional planning and assessment purposes
- Keep apprised of local and national trends and conversations about higher education. Anticipate questions and implications for the Rhodes community based on review of data, information, and research and policy studies.
- Design and conduct quantitative and qualitative data collection through instruments such as surveys, questionnaires, interviews, and focus groups.
- Collect and report required and requested data.
- Utilize applied research methods to analyze data to provide information for decision making, including appropriate interpretation of analysis results.
- Develop dashboards and translate data analysis results in order to visualize data significance through broadly relatable “stories” using data visualization and business intelligence tools.
- Collaborate with various College units on operational, budgetary, and strategic planning
- Serve as a member of SACS Reaffirmation Steering Committee. Support efforts related to institutional assessment and accreditation.
- Use IR data and analysis to facilitate planning, decision making and evaluation.
- Ensure an institution-wide data strategy; serve as Co-Chair of Rhodes College Data Stewardship and Advisory Committee; and ensure that data conforms to standards, is of high quality, and is available when needed
- Monitor compliance issues such as privacy and security and ethical issues such as determining what data and information should be used for various purposes, and whether interpretations are correct and appropriately used.
- Train campus constituents in the use of data, data access tools, and assessment where necessary to promote self-service or self-sufficiency in decision support.
- Collaborate in convening discussions related to information needs and connecting internal and external producers and users of data with one another for purposes of informing decision making.
- Master's degree required in a research-related field, such as statistics, social science, or data analytics, or an equivalent combination of academic degree achievement and professional knowledge.
- Three to five years professional experience higher education research, data management and data analysis.
- Position requires excellent written and oral communication skills, strong presentation skills, as well as demonstrated business analysis, systems data modeling, analytic and consultative, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current higher education issues, assessment and accreditation.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills and experience with statistical analysis and research; should be an advanced user of one or more statistical analysis tools/software packages (e.g., R, SPSS, SAS, etc.).
- Proficient in business intelligence and data visualization tools and methodologies such as Microsoft PowerBI, Tableau, Qualtrics, Google Charts, etc.
- Proficient in advanced concepts of Microsoft Excel and other Office suite products to increase efficiency/turnaround of data requests.
- Demonstrated ability to translate findings into actionable recommendations and to communicate with a variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams and to collaborate across organizational lines.
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative research techniques.
- Proficient in writing and presenting data-rich reports that are easily understood by decision-makers and other stakeholders.