Director of Public Relations and Marketing
Director of Public Relations and Marketing
The Director of Public Relations and Marketing provides leadership for the strategic and operational aspects of the college’s marketing, public and media relations, web communications, and social media functions. This position provides vision and message cohesion to the department. The Director reports to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement (VP). The Director serves as the college’s Public Information Officer.
- Provide overall management and leadership for the operational areas of marketing, public relations, web communications, and social media.
- In coordination with the Vice President for Institutional
Advancement, establish clear goals and objectives for the college’s
communications program, including:
- develop benchmarks to chart external reach and internal engagement and analyze effectiveness;
- utilize research to guide the direction of college communications and maximize opportunities;
- provide data on trends relative to audience communication preferences, including social media, and online innovations; and
- develop, maintain, and implement an Interactive Communications Plan.
- Manage the college’s media-related activities, including:
- act as the primary point of contact for the media by fielding press calls, facilitating responses to inquiries, and identifying and seeking internal subject matter experts and relevant documents or information;
- supervise the preparation of news releases and media-generating activities, including press conferences when necessary;
- catalog all media activity relevant to TCC and distributing it as necessary;
- crisis communications management/emergency management; and
- act as spokesperson when appropriate.
- act as freedom of information (FOI) officer to coordinate the administration processes for freedom of information and release of information requests to ensure efficient and effective management and compliance with state requirements
- Ensure alignment of public messages across platforms, including but not limited to the media, website homepage, social media, and electronic communications.
- Coordinate two-way communications with the college’s campuses for the purpose of promoting news, events, and achievements externally to the public, as well as internally to students.
- Oversee the operations of Web Communications, including:
- back-end programming and development languages and applications;
- design, brand integration, and user experience analysis;
- front-end content management systems and operations;
- integration of social media into online strategies;
- performance management using analytics; and
- data-driven web redesign efforts.
- Oversee the operations of Visual Communications, including:
- development of major publications, including but not limited to the main recruitment materials for prospective students and stakeholders, annual report and other program materials;
- Provide overall management and leadership for college marketing and its operational areas, including:
- establishing clear goals and objectives for the college’s marketing program;
- collaborate with administrators from across the college to develop marketing that meets the needs of internal stakeholders;
- develop plans, policies, and procures in support of college marketing and branding management;
- manage marketing research initiatives and utilize research to guide the direction of the program;
- responsible for advertising, direct mail, printed and digital materials
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Vice President for Institutional Advancement.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the operational areas of public relations and marketing as delineated above and comprehensive understanding of their interrelationships.
- Solid, progressively responsible experience in communications, preferably with senior leadership experience in higher education. Demonstrated results in managing teams and information in a dynamic work environment.
- Knowledge of and experience in promoting an organization. Demonstrated innovation in the field of communications, with an emphasis in online communications.
- Excellent and persuasive communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships among a variety of constituents including news media, community leaders, and college administration, faculty, staff, alumni, and supporters. Experience as a Public Information Officer or in media relations preferred.
- Ability to launch successful marketing campaigns using multiple forms of media to meet prospect targets.
- Ability to manage multiple projects from inception to completion.
- Demonstrated understanding of and belief in the comprehensive mission of the community college.
- A master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, preferably in communications, public relations, marketing, or journalism. A doctorate degree is preferred.
As delineated in the Required Qualifications section.
Interested applicants, to apply, please go to https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/22444
Review of application materials will commence September 11, 2020 and continue until filled.
Unofficial transcripts will be accepted with the application; however, no offer of employment will be made prior to official transcripts being provided to the college.
Virginia’s Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.