Director of Library Services
Director of Library Services
(Full-time position anticipated to begin January, 2021)
POSITION TITLE: Director of Library Services
DEPARTMENT: Library Services
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Provost and Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs, the Director of Library Services is responsible for the formulation and evaluation of the goals, objectives and policies of the Bluefield State College library. Administers college-wide library services including planning and development, staff supervision, procurement of books, periodicals and electronic databases and resources. Provides leadership to balance electronic, virtual resources for distance education and for books, periodicals and physical library resources to create a robust learning environment for students, faculty, staff and community. Oversees the effective utilization of off-campus library sites. Appointment is anticipated to begin in January, 2021.
POSITION CLASSIFICATION/COMPENSATION: This position is Nonclassified, Full-time, carries an Exempt status under the Fair Labor Standards Act, and serves at the will and pleasure of the President. Actual compensation will be commensurate with specific qualifications and experience related to the position. Position is dependent upon available funding.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise and assign responsibilities to library staff to maximize effective utilization of BSC library resources. Conduct and/or oversee staff scheduling, including staffing in public service areas.
- Provide leadership for the provision of library services to off campus sites.
- Supervise institutional archiving efforts.
- Coordinate staff training and development.
- Formally evaluate staff on an annual basis; conduct periodic evaluation and consultation as needed.
- Interpret policies and problem-solve in consultation with supervisor on difficult and/or precedent-setting situations.
- 0versee efforts to fill library vacancies as needed in accordance with policies.
- Supervise allocation of financial resources of the library.
- Administer library budget with approval from supervisor.
- Supervise inventory control of book collection and maintain statistical counts of collection to be reported to Auditor on an annual basis.
- Coordinate with professional librarians the evaluation of the library collections, the establishment of collection policies and the selection of resources to be added to the library.
- Plan, organize, and implement existing and forthcoming computer applications and technology in conjunction with recommendations from librarians, faculty, and staff.
- 0versee library's part in the MLN consortium and the online catalog.
- Supervise and advise in the processing of library materials.
- Coordinate with professional librarians the marketing of library services to faculty and students. Promote the library and its resources as a growing and vital part of the college and community.
- Oversee and may provide bibliographic instruction and reference services as needed.
PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
- Prepare reports, memoranda, statistics, and studies of library services.
- Serve on college committees, if requested.
- Participate in professional associations and meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s Degree in Library Science from an accredited institution, with the LS program accredited by the American Library Association (ALA). At least three years of academic library experience including supervision and/or management of a library or library unit/collection. Knowledge of the current concepts, principles, and practices needed to successfully operate an academic library. Understanding of library organization, including work in library collections. Knowledge of information technology resources supporting library services. Skilled in organization, leadership, and management. Knowledge of providing library services to off-campus sites. Understanding fundamentals of budgeting. Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, and to relate to others in a professional and helpful manner. Ability to analyze problems, identify solutions, and take appropriate actions to resolve problems using independent judgment and decision-making processes. Proficient computer skills. Attention to detail. Ability to provide excellent customer service to a diverse population in a professional and helpful manner. Must maintain a valid State Driver’s License. Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: At least five years of experience managing an academic library.
THE COLLEGE: The mission of Bluefield State College is to provide students an affordable, accessible opportunity for public higher education. A historically black institution, Bluefield State College prepares students for diverse professions, graduate study, informed citizenship, community involvement, and public service in an ever-changing global society. More information about the College is available at www.bluefieldstate.edu.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Completed applications are to be submitted in electronic format only to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include:
- Letter of interest specific to the position;
- A completed BSC Employment Application (form available at https://www.bluefieldstate.edu/resources/human-resources/jobs);
- Contact information for at least three professional references; and
- Transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the application process; official transcripts will be required of the selected candidate).
DATE POSTED: August 14, 2020
CLOSING DATE: For full consideration, applications must be received by 4:00 pm EST, Friday, September 11, 2020. Applications will be accepted until position is filled; however, applications received after the deadline may not receive full consideration.
Bluefield State College is an HBCU, AA/EOE/ADA employer, committed to the principle that minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The college complies with all applicable federal and state laws designed to promote equal educational and employment opportunities. Bluefield State College does not provide H1B visa or employment sponsorship.
Apply for Director of Library Services
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly