College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
The University of Delaware
The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Delaware invites applications for a Poultry Disease Diagnostician (Senior Scientist) located at Lasher Laboratory in Georgetown, Delaware beginning immediately. As the primary diagnostician and an integral team member within the University of Delaware Poultry Health System (UDPHS), this position provides important services for the local Delmarva (Delaware, Maryland and Virginia), national and international poultry and allied industries by providing critical necropsy and diagnostic services related to avian health. Working closely with the Director of the Poultry Health System/Senior Scientist Poultry Virologist at the Charles C. Allen Laboratory and the Lasher Laboratory Manager, the Poultry Disease Diagnostician will also actively support applied industry research projects aimed at enhancing poultry health and assist with ongoing accreditation and quality assurance processes for this NAHLN/A2LA accredited laboratory. In addition, the successful candidate will communicate regularly with industry and state veterinarians and participate in local, national and international poultry health meetings. There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position at Lasher Lab as staff supervision is fulfilled by the Lasher Laboratory Manager. Opportunity for staff performance input will be requested during annual performance evaluation.
- Perform daily necropsies on sick and/or dead avian species submitted to UDPHS by commercial and back-yard poultry growers.
- Interact regularly with industry and state veterinarians, allied industry representatives and UD Department of Animal and Food Science faculty, staff and students on issues and updates related to poultry health.
- Collaborate with UDPHS team in developing experimental protocol and procedures for poultry applied science research projects.
- Participate in the maintenance and compliance efforts of the UDPHS team to the ISO/IEC 17025 standard for the accreditation of testing/calibration for laboratories.
- Assist with performing audits by internal and external parties for accreditation, animal welfare and biological materials/organisms permitting.
- Participate in outreach/training programs related to poultry health, diagnostic sample collection and/or laboratory operations.
- Position duties require advanced scientific knowledge and skills in the discipline of veterinary diagnostic laboratory science with an emphasis on avian anatomy, pathology and poultry science. D.V.M./V.M.D. or equivalent degree required. An advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D. in an appropriate discipline), M.A.M. or internship/residency training in poultry medicine and pathology or equivalent experience along with ACPV or ACPV eligibility is preferred. Understanding of poultry management is also desired.
- The ability to interpret Molecular, Bacteriology, and Serology testing.
- Ability to compile comprehensive necropsy reports and a thorough understanding of data management within a Laboratory management System to extract and communicate key diagnostic results for disease diagnosis.
- Knowledge and understanding of quality management systems and the ability to assist in the implementation of policies and procedures to maintain accreditation by a certifying body according to ISO17025 standards is essential.
- Excellent professional communication skills with co-workers, industry and state veterinarians, students, allied industry representatives, national and international scientists in the poultry and laboratory fields as well as the general public.
- Ability to understand requirements of government regulating bodies, how they pertain to the poultry industry and affect the testing performed in the laboratory.
- Troubleshooting, problem solving, and decision making are essential in performing the duties listed above.
TO APPLY: For a complete list of requirements and job duties and to apply online, please visit the UDJOBS website at www.udel.edu/udjobs . The reference number (Job ID) for the position is Job ID 496119 .
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from minority group members, women, individuals with a disability and veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html. Employment offers will be conditioned upon successful completion of a criminal background check. A conviction will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Newark
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Newark
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Newark
- Biology & Life Sciences Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Newark