Associate Director, Startup Development - (STA006274)
Directs all activities, personnel, and infrastructure in support of the UH startup community at the Technology Bridge. Oversees internal seed grant programs as well as acts as the interface with other UH startup related activities. Engages and builds collaboration with internal and external stakeholders within the start-up and innovation ecosystem.
- Oversees and manages all aspects of the Innovation Center and Incubator Labs at the Technology Bridge.
- Directs activities of the Innovation Center Program Manager to include but not limited to; marketing strategy, lease contract negotiation and operational infrastructure management, safety and maintenance requirements of UHTB4 and UHTB5 buildings to ensure a high-level of efficiency, cost-control and customer service.
- Manages the portfolio of UH research related startups.
- Oversees the startup and entrepreneur mentoring program to provide quality guidance to UH entrepreneurs and startup companies.
- Collaborates with Technology Commercialization and Industry Ventures teams in support of identifying, licensing, or spinning out UH technologies to startup companies.
- Directs and facilitates the Chancellor's Technology Bridging Fund, a $2m 5-year seed grant program to help faculty commercialize emerging technology.
- Collaborates and coordinates with the Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship, Red Labs, and other UH-based startup activities.
- Engages with external stakeholders in the innovation and startup ecosystem in Greater Houston and across the state of Texas.
- Manages the development and delivery of educational programs and support resources for early-stage companies in the innovation center and incubator labs.
- Directs the showcase of start-up companies and innovative technologies through events, communications, and competitions. Identifies UH technologies and inventors who may be good candidates for a startup. May manage and coordinate with administrative personnel and interns. Performs other job related duties as required.
Bachelor's Degree and 5 years experience.
Education: Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed.
Experience: Requires a minimum of five (5) years of directly job-related experience.
Preferred: Management of an incubator, innovation center or startup program, previous startup work experience or previous founder of start-up company.