Assistant Professor of Science Education (Secondary Science)
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACH
College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Department of Science Education
Tenure-Track Position Opening
Recruitment Number: 2629
Position: Assistant Professor of Science Education (Secondary Science)
Effective Date: August 17, 2021 (Fall Semester)
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
To Apply Visit: http://www.csulb.edu/academic-affairs/faculty-affairs/assistant-professor-of-science-education-2629
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in science education or related field. Degree at
time of application or official notification of completion of the
doctoral degree by August 1, 2021.
- Undergraduate major in a science field or at least 32 semester
units of science coursework (may be either undergraduate or
- Grade 6-12 teaching science experience as the teacher of
- Experience working with pre-service or in-service science
- Demonstrated potential for excellence in college level
- Demonstrated potential for published scholarship in science
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse
Preferred Qualifications: Successful candidates may meet some of these qualifications
- Demonstrated effectiveness teaching science at the grade 6-12
- Demonstrated potential for teaching and mentoring students from
underrepresented groups (e.g., experience teaching and mentoring
diverse students, understanding of culturally-responsive pedagogy
or pedagogical content knowledge related to needs of students from
- Familiarity with U.S. public schools, science standards, and
- Science Education presentations, publications, or other forms
of scholarly communication with emphasis on both science teachers
and science education scholars.
- Interest in working collaboratively with science education
faculty and/or faculty in other disciplines.
- Engagement with science teacher organizations (e.g. National
Science Teaching Association, state science teacher associations,
Review of applications to begin September 30, 2020
Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled)
A background check (including a criminal records check and telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, medical condition, age, Vietnam era veteran status, or any other veteran's status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.