Professor of Nuclear Enterprise Operations
Air University's U.S. Air Force Center for Strategic Deterrence Studies invites applications for a faculty position in the area of strategic deterrence and nuclear weapons issues. The position focuses on the Department of Defense nuclear enterprise; nuclear deterrence operations; relevance and role of nuclear weapons to include strategy and policy; regional nuclear security issues; and modern deterrence theory. The primary purpose of the postion is to teach courses, develop education and curriculum, direct student research, and conduct research. The position will be an initial three year appointment with a one-year probationary period, with the potential for continued reappointment for additional 1-5 year terms.Responsibilities
- Developing education and curriculum, and teaching graduate-level seminars on strategic and nuclear deterrence policy and strategy in all Air University colleges.
- Evaluates current curricula and provides continuity of educational philosophy. Facilitates implementation of Air University curriculum guidance by advising on instructional methodologies and making recommendations on selection of lecturers and instructional materials to be used in the curriculum.
- Conducting individual and student research, preparing oral presentations and written materials, and supporting student research in the areas of nuclear enterprise and deterrence operations, history of nuclear weapons, modern deterrence theory, and other related topics.
- Individual is expected to deepen personal knowledge to maintain intellectual leadership in this field, writing scholarly works such as articles, monographs, and boo reviews for external peer-reviewed publications. Conducts outreach and academic service to scholarly discipline, professional associations, or other higher education communities of interest.
- Additional duties may include supporting nuclear education efforts at other Air Force bases, performing administrative support functions and special projects such as serving on committees, reviewing or responding to requests for information, and delivering informational briefs to visitors in support of Air University, as well as other professional duties as directed by the Air University leadership.
The position requires an understanding of, and desirably work experience in, the areas of nuclear enterprise operations and organization; relevance and role of nuclear weapons to include strategy and policy; regional nuclear security issues to include proliferation, non-proliferation, and political; nuclear employment; history of nuclear weapons; nuclear surety to include Personal Reliability Program, compliance, safety, security, and reliability; and modern deterrence theory.
Work experience in Professional Military Education is desired. An understanding of joint/multinational/interagency/doctrine and planning procedures and familiarity with the integration and synchronization of planning across all levels of war with a focus on the operational level of war is desired. The position is open to relevant academic disciplines but the focus of academic expertise is on the history of nuclear weapons, current nuclear enterprise operations, and US deterrence theory and policy. Commitment to interdisciplinary methods and ability to teach a wide range of introductory-level courses in strategic deterrence and nuclear weapons theory is essential. A Ph.D. is required in Military or Diplomatic History, International Relations, Security Studies or a closely related field with an emphasis on strategy and international security policy.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated superior teaching performance and the ability to develop and maintain curriculum; have guided research, and published in the areas noted. Military experience in the Department of Defense nuclear enterprise is desired but not required.Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- A top secret security clearance is required.
- You may qualify for moving expenses.
- Position is subject to random drug testing.
- This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process and is not in the competitive civil service.
- This is an Administratively Determined position in the excepted service.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Montgomery
- Professional Fields Tenured/Tenured Track $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Montgomery
- Security Studies Tenured/Tenured Track $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Montgomery
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Montgomery
- Physics & Space Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Montgomery