Suffolk University is a private, urban university located in the heart of downtown Boston. Our college green is the Boston Common and we are steps from dozens of historic sites including the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, City Hall and the Massachusetts State House. We have no real boundaries to our campus—Boston and Suffolk blend together.
Suffolk has been committed to creating an exceptional learning experience since 1906. Our vision is to be recognized as a dynamic institution that fosters engaged learning, rigorous scholarship, innovative thinking, and community collaboration across disciplines. We will ensure that Suffolk graduates are versatile and prepared for modern society and the new world market. We will provide rich curricula, experiential learning opportunities and professional mentoring through increased collaboration with alumni and community partners. We will recruit, mentor, and support a diverse faculty of teacher-scholars who are passionately committed to preparing our students to be leaders in the global community. We will inspire investment in a Suffolk community that is built on ethical, forward-thinking leadership, teamwork, and cooperation.
We compete for the best talent. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, national origin or LGBTQ status. As part of our commitment we encourage you to complete the demographic portion of the application in addition to submitting your cover letter and resume/CV as it will assist us in targeting our recruitment efforts.Please note that Suffolk University conducts background checks as a condition of employment.
We are also committed to the well-being of our employees. Our terrific benefits package for benefits-eligible positions include, but are not limited to:
- Generous paid time-off programs and commitment to work-life balance
- Tuition free course benefits in the College of Arts and Sciences and in the Sawyer Business School for employees with additional tuition benefits for spouses, domestic partners, and children
- Top-notch well-being care available through Harvard Pilgrim Medical/Delta Dental and a Flexible Spending Account
- Pre-tax commuter benefit
- Employee Assistance Program that provides employees and their family members with initial assessment, referrals and short-term counseling for personal and work challenges
- Discounted home and auto insurance
- Coordinate the ongoing development, maintenance and implementation of the Suffolk Emergency Plan (SEP) and assist the business continuity manager with plans. Participate in professional development to keep abreast with trends within the emergency management community, with emphasis on higher education, and take steps to verify the institution is planning accordingly. Recommend emergency planning-related policies to University leadership.
- Collaborate with the risk manager for purposes of developing and implementing emergency management planning, assist with business continuity planning, and notification of emergencies. Management and response to international incidents that impact members of the University community.
- Create a culture of campus-wide emergency preparedness by utilizing social media, departmental meetings, and keeping a visible presence on campus and other venues as appropriate.
- Manage the Emergency Operations Center when activated, serve as an incident commander, as appropriate, during a critical international or national incident, and coordinate the University's emergency notification system.
- Develop and conduct robust emergency management training, including Study Abroad orientation for the University. Conduct periodic drills and amend training based on outcomes. Conduct hazard vulnerability analysis and develop evacuation plans.
- Keep informed of federal, state, and local regulations effecting emergency plans to ensure adherence. Interact with outside agencies to coordinate emergency support activities.
- Serve as the chair of the University's Incident Support Team (IST), coordinator for the Threat Assessment Team, and chair of the weather team. Participate on other University committees as appropriate.
- Develop and/or assist with managing budget for emergency management.
- Management and response to international incidents that impact members of the University community.
- Work with the Center of International Programs (CIPS) office to ensure safety of students abroad.
- Assists in institutional Clery Act compliance including monitoring, updating and the implementation of institutional Clery Act policies and procedures.
- Bachelor's degree is required, with five or more years of relevant or similar emergency management experience
- Experience in higher education is strongly preferred
- Experience in the Clery Act compliance is preferred
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization as well as outside consultants and members of local and regional regulatory agencies
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and follow tasks through to completion
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Presentation preparation and delivery skills to present in group settings
- Ability to develop programs and train groups and individuals
- Demonstrates ability to lead individuals and groups in high-stress situations
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and consensus-building skills with demonstrated problem-solving and decision-making experience
- Ability to operate 24/7 in the event of an emergency affecting the University community
Summary of Position:
The emergency manager has responsibility for all aspects of emergency preparedness and emergency management at Suffolk University at all on-campus and off-campus facilities, owned or leased. Works with individuals at all levels of the institution to develop and initiate campus-wide mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery programs that meet regulatory guidelines, protects the university's assets, prepares the University to deal with unforeseen disruptions to operations and leads recovery and normalization activities. Previous higher education emergency management experience is strongly preferred.
Suffolk University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment.