Associate Director of Extension
The Associate Director coordinates administrative efforts to ensure that MSU Extension faculty and staff are equipped with the skills, abilities and competencies to provide transformative Extension programs and develop strong partnerships. The MSU Extension Associate Director will work with members of the Administrative Team to ensure that extension programs and directions are implemented and in-line with the MSU Extension’s strategic vision. The Associate Director must advocate for MSU Extension needs and be able to analyze and interpret University, USDA-NIFA and other policies and procedures.General Statement
Montana State University (MSU) seeks nominations and applications for the position of Associate Director of MSU Extension. Founded in 1893, Montana State University is a comprehensive Land Grant University with over 18,000 students system-wide with campuses in Bozeman, Billings, Great Falls and Havre. It has widespread Extension programs and is committed to the land grant mission of providing the services of the university to citizens and youth throughout the state MSU Extension has a field faculty staff of 90 Extension Agents representing every county in the state and four Indian Reservations with 50 specialized faculty and professional staff located in Bozeman and other locations. Program offerings include agriculture, energy and natural resources, 4-H youth development, family and consumer sciences, and community and economic development. MSU Extension Programs focus on bringing university research and services to local communities via county agents with support from statewide specialists. The total state, county and federal, and grant budget for FY20 was about $25.8 million of which over 30% is funded through a partnership with Montana counties. For additional information see the web site http://msuextension.org.
We seek approachable individuals who work professionally and effectively with diverse individuals, possess effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and have the ability to contribute positively to the academic success of the students and the mission of Montana State University.Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Executive Director in leading the administrative team and faculty to shape the strategic direction and priorities of Montana State University Extension.
- Serve as the program liaison/coordinator between field operations and campus, which will include maintaining effective communication among regional department heads, campus colleges and departments, and agents and specialists, to address the critical areas of Extension program planning and professional development.
- Provide leadership and oversight for MSU Extension professional development.
- Provide leadership and oversight to Extension’s program development and accountability, including the program planning processes.
- Provide innovative leadership and creativity to programming Extension efforts including development and coordination of interdisciplinary teams to address societal and economic needs and issues of Montanans.
- Provide leadership and coordinate the Extension Retention, Promotion and Tenure process for field faculty and non-departmentalized faculty.
- Work closely with the Executive Director in providing leadership for Extension budgets, grant management, personnel, and legislative efforts.
- Work effectively with sensitive groups and situations.
- Provide leadership for the day-to-day operations of the MSU Extension administrative team.
- Supervise and support the campus-based units of MSU Extension including Communications, Publications, and Technology; the Local Government Center; Nutrition Education; Analysis, Planning, and Evaluation;The Weatherization Center; REAL MT and all non-departmentalized Extension faculty (forestry, community development, and health resources).
- Represent MSU Extension on University councils and committees.
- Earned Master level degree in an Extension field or related study.
- Demonstrated excellence in program development, management, implementation, and assessment.
- Demonstrated excellence in providing leadership for an organization, department, or unit.
- Demonstrated excellence in professional development and training.
- Earned Doctoral degree in an Extension field or related study.
- Experience working in an Extension program.
- Demonstrated experience with the promotion and tenure process.
- A demonstrated record of working positively with culturally diverse constituents.
- Have excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Have demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with constituencies at the university campus, county, state and national levels.
- Have Demonstrated success in collaboration and cooperation with faculty and staff.
- Have the ability to act independently and be thoughtful.
- Have a balanced understanding of the need to act in both a leadership and management role.
- A broad understanding of the philosophy, accomplishments and challenges of the Extension System and the Land Grant University.
- Have an appreciation of ethnically diverse constituencies.
- Equally value all program areas of Extension and will respect MSU Extension’s community-based model while encouraging response to emerging constituent needs.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts Montana State University’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.Physical Demands
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.This position has supervisory duties? Yes
Equal Opportunity Employer, Veterans/Disabled