Job No: 496555
Position Type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Public Safety
This position works as part of a team in the Public Safety Communications Center at Bucknell University to maintain communications between Public Safety personnel, the Bucknell community and external constituencies. The Communications Officer will perform a full range of duties in a 24 hour communication center to include answering routine and emergency telephone and radio calls, dispatching officers, providing information, fire/intrusion monitoring, use of NCIC and JNET criminal/traffic computers and monitoring all incoming camera video. This is a full-time, benefits eligible position reporting to the Manager, Communications & Security Technology. This Communications Officer position will generally be scheduled to work 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
● Monitor and operate the surveillance system.
● Operate the NCIC/JNET (computerized index of criminal justice information) system/computer to retrieve information for patrol officers.
● Operate the emergency alert and notification systems.
● Dispatch officers and personnel to all incidents, alarms, and emergencies on campus.
● Maintain an accurate log of operations in the Informant System according to Federal Communications regulations.
● Answer all routine and emergency telephone calls and provide information to visitors at the Public Safety office as well as the Bucknell Community.
● Coordinate service and communicate, as necessary, with staff, students, faculty and outside agencies and organizations.
● Issue all equipment for lock up staff and contract security.
● Contact Student Medical Driver for transportation to medical facilities.
● Coordinate and contact Facilities for routine and emergency calls after hours and submit work orders for repairs across campus as needed.
● Monitor the fire, intrusion and panic alarms on campus and at Bucknell owned off campus facilities and monitor river levels for potential flooding.
● Assist Residential Life during holidays, breaks and after hours with building access duties.
● Stay abreast of all departmental and university policies and procedures.
● Must obtain and maintain APCO and EMD Certifications.
● High school diploma or equivalent,
● Strong written and communication skills and the ability to speak clearly and distinctly.
● Ability to exercise sound judgment and work independently
● Ability to handle all types of emergencies and situations in a calm, efficient and mature manner
● Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
● Ability and willingness to learn and accurately follow all policies of the University and procedures of the department.
● Experience operating computers
● Proficient and accurate typing and data entry skills
● Ability to work all shifts to support the 24/7 operation.
● Ability to obtain Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) and Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD) certifications
● Previous law enforcement, security, safety or dispatch training or related experience.
● Ability to remain seated for long periods of time required
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496555/communications-officer