Chief Data Architect
About the University
San Diego State University is a place of knowledge, experience, and impact. It is one of the oldest institutions in California, with 400,000+ living alumni and many more friends in the community who have a stake in its future. United by pride, the SDSU community is committed to improving student success, advancing research and creative endeavors, contributing to the community, and building our culture of philanthropy. We hire individuals from a variety of career disciplines to share in the university’s mission. Across the disciplines, employees at SDSU engage in meaningful work that results in transformational experiences for students.
Information Technology at San Diego State University
The mission of the Information Technology Division is to develop the long-term infrastructure, services, and strategy necessary to support the University’s mission of learning, discovery, and engagement. The IT Division has the stewardship responsibility for core IT assets on campus and the obligation to provide the services, training, and community building necessary to realize the benefits of those investments across the San Diego State University community.
For more information about the Information Technology Division, please click here.
The Chief Data Architect is a senior leadership position in the IT Division with a direct reporting relationship to the Vice President for Information Technology/Chief Information Officer. The Chief Data Architect will provide strategic leadership and oversight of campus data providing planning, architecture, management, and implementation of data solutions. Working closely with campus stakeholders including Analytic Studies and Institutional Research, these data solutions will increase the adoption, confidence, and approachability of campus data to enable a data-driven culture. In addition, the Chief Data Architect will support the development and design of custom applications and integrations supporting data integrations, identity management, and third-party application interoperability. The Chief Data Architect is also a leadership position for collaborative development and creation of technology roadmaps in alignment with system-wide technical data solutions. The incumbent will be responsible for personnel management of a development/operations team as well as local unit budget decisions.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned information technology leader, with experience developing long-term institutional data architecture solutions and implementing the projects and tools necessary to achieve those goals. This proactive, solution-oriented technologist, will have a history of working with technical staff to achieve those build and integrate solutions necessary to realize institutional data architecture goals.
- Experience developing long-term data architecture strategy with specific examples of solutions brought to solve customer/user needs
- Experience with major cloud-based infrastructure for data lakes
- Experience in leading IT projects which have complex requirements and contain many technical components and interfaces
- Experience managing enterprise systems
- At least four years of experience managing and/or supervising technical personnel supporting either enterprise systems or data architecture solutions
- Five or more years of Project and or Change Management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an information technology-related field
- Professional experience with Amazon Web services, specifically data services and technologies
- Professional experience in a higher education institution, public and government agency, military environment, or complex commercial enterprise
- Professional experiences with Microsoft Azure environment and technologies
- Experience managing staff in a collective bargaining organization
Compensation and Benefits
San Diego State University will offer a competitive salary based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. A significant component of the compensation package is a rich benefits package that includes:
- Extensive leave benefits: 14 paid holidays, 24 vacation days, and 12 sick days per year;
- Retirement security through a CalPERS defined benefit pension and retiree healthcare benefits;
- An array of health, dental, and vision coverage at no- or low-cost to the employee; and
- California State University system fee reduction program (fee waiver) for the employee or their qualified dependent.
This is a full-time (1.0 time-base) benefits-eligible, at-will position. This position is designated exempt under FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Application and Search Process
For full consideration, please submit application by August 20, 2020. Candidates should provide a resume and letter of interest. The position will remain open until filled.
For more information, please contact:
Casie Martinez, SHRM-CP
Assistant Human Resources Director
All management and executive employees shall be required to provide a written statement to the appropriate administrator of any and all outside employment. Employees shall also provide a written statement of outside employment if a written request by an administrator is made.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click here.
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities and applicants who require assistance completing an application may contact Casie Martinez at (619) 273-3343 or email@example.com.