Senior Assistant/Associate Director of Financial Aid
Founded in 1887, Clark was one of the first all-graduate institutions in the United States. Today the University is a highly-ranked, student-centered institution educating approximately 2,350 undergraduate and 1,150 graduate students to be imaginative and contributing citizens of the world and to advance the frontiers of knowledge and understanding through rigorous scholarship and creative effort. This commitment to scholarship and inquiry reflects the University's commitment to "challenge convention and change our world" and to address issues of critical importance to society. It is also reflected by Clark's many national and international distinctions, including recognition for its diversity and inclusion efforts, innovation, community engagement and impact, as a top green campus, and for having a distinguished geography and international development program. Clark has also been included in the groundbreaking Colleges that Change Lives guide since it was first published in 1996.
Clark is located in Worcester, Massachusetts, a dynamic, diverse city "on the rise." The second largest city in New England, Worcester is home to 11 institutions of higher learning and is increasingly recognized for its growing healthcare and biotechnology communities, its thriving cultural scene, and as a vibrant food hub
Senior Assistant/ Associate Director of Financial Aid
Clark University seeks a dynamic and dedicated professional as the Senior Assistant/Associate Director of Financial who will be responsible for overseeing the reimplementation, support and training of PowerFAIDS, NetPartner, and scheduler in consultation with the Director. Additional responsibilities will include managing a caseload of new applicants and returning students, assisting in the quality control standards and assisting staff with the interpretation of federal regulations oversight of the R2T4 process, assisting in the fund reconciliation process as well as coordinating documentation for the yearly A-133 audit.
Reporting to the Director of Financial Aid, the Senior Assistant/ Associate Director will work collaboratively to redeploy PowerFAIDS as well as NetPartner and will be responsible for developing, maintaining and delivering training documents and activities for colleagues. The Senior Assistant/ Associate Director will keep current on Federal, State and Institutional regulations, and engage students in the financial aid process; will possess the interpersonal skills necessary to successfully liaise and collaborate with colleagues across all levels of the University and external partners while maintaining composure, discretion and a student-centric focus.
This position requires a combination of regulatory knowledge, understanding of business needs and the underlying systems that support them, preferably in a higher education environment.
Major Responsibilities include:
- Manage a caseload of new applicants and returning students to include file review using both Institutional and Federal methodologies and extensive customer service including counseling in person, over the phone and via email.
- In conjunction with the Director, review current uses of PowerFAIDS and develop a plan for reimplementation. This will include set up of new processes within PowerFAIDS and development of training documentation and opportunities for staff.
- Manage the R2T4 process providing training and guidance to counselors assisting in this process
- Manage the packaging restricted funds, as well as the reconciliation, and maintenance of new or changing accounts.
- Assist with annual A-133 audit process
- Oversee and host financial aid workshops, yield events and strategic enrollment programs as required.
- Assist with Gilbert, FSEOG and work study program reconciliation
- Assist the Director with completion of all annual reporting requirements and coordinate all data requests from external offices using the federal security guidelines outlined for financial aid offices. Work collaboratively with Institutional Research to accomplish these tasks.
- Communicate effectively in a professional, tactful and courteous manner with students, parents, employees, faculty and the general public.
- Attend meetings and participate in committees, as assigned, and attend training necessary to stay abreast of regulations concerning financial aid
- Perform assigned responsibilities, duties, and tasks according to established practices and standards with confidentiality
- Reads financial aid applications and financial aid applications, applying institutional and federal methodology to determine need and build packages accurately and accordingly
- Assist with the institutional transition to packaging returning students in Powerfaids
- Respond to internal and external inquiries regarding both Clark and federal financial aid policies as they apply to individual circumstances
- Maintain high standards of customer service, supporting Clark's efforts to be student centered and dedicated to helping our students progress and succeed at Clark
- Stay up to date and knowledgeable on federal and institutional policies and regulations related to financial aid
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- Advanced PowerFAIDS experience to include maintenance and training of other staff.
- Must be a seasoned financial aid professional with at least 3-5 years of progressive experience.
- Demonstrated success working with Federal and State financial aid programs and institutional tuition discounting.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, data driven and creative environment
- Possess the sensitivity to student needs and development.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a diverse team of professionals.
- Extensive administrative experience.
- Excellent customer/student service skills.
- High degree of professionalism and discretion in contacts with management and team members.
- Prior experience working with and contributing to a diverse workplace with the ability to interact effectively with a broad range of constituents on campus
Preferred Qualifications include:
- Master's degree
- Extensive PowerFAIDS, NetPartner, and Scheduler implementation and user support experience
- 5 - 7 years of progressive experience and demonstrated success working with Federal and State financial aid programs and institutional tuition discounting
- Effective technology skills including Banner, Argos and HelioCampus
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
This is a Full-time position with excellent benefits, which include employee and family tuition benefits, 4 weeks' vacation, generous retirement plan, free use of campus fitness center and many more.
Clark University embraces equal opportunity and affirmative action as core values: we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. This commitment applies to every aspect of education, services, and employment policies and practices at Clark. Our commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. All positions at Clark share in the responsibility for building a community that values diversity and the uniqueness of others by exhibiting integrity and respect in interacting with all members of the Clark community to create an atmosphere of fairness and belonging. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, inclusive of all women, to apply.
To be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online. Create a Clark University Careers Account by clicking on the APPLY NOW button below. You will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover letter
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Already have a Clark University Careers Account? Login to your account to add documents or update your account.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience.