Community Health Worker
The Baylor College of Medicine Environmental Health Service (BCM EHS) is seeking a community health worker (CHW) to work with participants in a research study that aims to improve asthma control and quality of life for people with poorly controlled asthma or chronic rhinosinusitis. In collaboration with the environmental health team, the CHW will conduct study marketing and recruitment activities and help with phone-based interventions to reduce asthma triggers and other environmental exposures. This person may also navigate and access community services, provide social support, and advocate for individuals and community health needs. This is a part-time, temporary position that will end by June 30, 2021.
The successful applicant should have strong knowledge of local community resources, good communication skills, ability to work independently, and willingness to provide encouragement and motivation to participants. Opportunities for personal growth via continuing education activities will be available and encouraged. Additional training in healthy homes and asthma education will be provided.
• Assist with study recruitment efforts, including posting study flyers throughout the housing community.
• Communicate and follow up with participants about upcoming appointments and answer participant questions as appropriate.
• Assist with the distribution and collection of study questionnaires and materials. This may include, for example, sliding questionnaires under participants' doors or dropping off exposure reduction supplies at a participant's door.
• Establish trusting relationships with participants while providing general support and encouragement.
• Develop relationships with area social service agencies to build knowledge of available resources; provide referrals as appropriate.
• Attend regular staff meetings, training sessions, conferences, and other meetings.
• Provide administrative support, including planning for and assisting with community social events if/when in-person activities resume (e.g., reserving the room, marketing the event).
• Complete data collection according to protocols and procedures, in compliance with HIPAA regulations.
• Maintain record of outreach events, activities, and contacts along with the number of people reached. Participate in professional development activities to maintain education and skill competencies.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Two years of relevant experience in health/social services.
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work
- Coursework toward Community Health Worker certification
- Training in healthy homes and asthma education
- Current residents at HHA's Cuney Homes or Historic Oaks of Allen Parkway Village in good standing with current lease agreement and no lease violations with the past 12 months.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Social Work & Human Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston