Human Resources Generalist
Position Human Resources Generalist Full Time/Part Time Full Time Job Type Regular Position Summary
This is a key position in the department with high visibility that provides advanced technical and administrative Human Resources (HR) support and expertise on a broad range of HR management issues working closely with other members of the HR/Payroll team supporting the overall mission of the University. Provides independent guidance and facilitation to client constituencies, other HR staff, and/or members of the general public in the interpretation and application of core HR operating policies, guidelines, procedures, systems, documentation and responds to day-to-day HR-related questions, needs, and problem resolution. Provides advice and connects departments to resources, services, and information. Maintains knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, and University policies, processes, and resources. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: onboarding, benefits administration, recruitment/employment, and employment law compliance. Develops and/or coordinates the development, documentation, and maintenance of operating processes, procedures, and data/records systems as applicable to the area of expertise. The incumbent must be customer service focused and have excellent communication, organization, and time management skills. May provide day-to-day supervision and/or project leadership to administrative staff or student employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides expertise on a broad and comprehensive range of human resources activities including recruitment, compensation, benefits administration, performance management, talent development, employment transactions, policy compliance, and other related HR functional areas;
• Serves as a first point-of-contact for departments and schools regarding HR concerns, needs and issues; evaluates situations, navigates, and directs departments to the various resources available;
• Provides advice to management regarding adherence to applicable federal, state, and local laws, as well as policies and procedures and collective bargaining agreements; identifies innovative solutions and options to address complex human resource management issues;
• Approves personnel actions to include but not limited to compensation and classification changes, personnel transactions, administers benefit changes; and other related HR transactions;
• Reviews and verifies incoming and outgoing documentation for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with established policies an procedures;
• Maintains knowledge of University policies, processes and resources, as well as applicable federal, state, and local laws;
• Assists with projects to improve the quality of HR services provided;
• Assists in the planning, development, and modification of human resources programs to better serve the needs of the University;
• Organizes workflow and maintains order in such a way that meets internal and external expectations. This will require juggling multiple projects and managing numerous deadlines in an environment where business needs may change, and priorities may require constant reshuffling;
• Conducts research, analysis, and studies to address issues and problems related to human resources; recommends programs or actions to resolve problems and enhance services;
• Assists with the University’s recruitment and hiring processes (i.e. develops and reviews job descriptions and advertisements; posts open positions; administers applicant tracking system, and conducts final review search materials);
• Maintains listing of approved positions along with assigned salary grade levels;
• Responds to employee questions regarding policies, procedures, collective bargaining agreements, and programs;
• Coordinates health, life, and disability insurance enrollments and communicates with service providers concerning routine administration;
• Provides a range of high-level support and problem resolution to client constituencies, other HR staff and/or members of the public;
• Serves as the primary point of contact or liaison with a range of various issues applicable to the specified area of expertise;
• Facilitates meetings with HR staff, as appropriate, and provides training and information dissemination regarding new or modified processes, systems, or procedures;
• Counsels managers in the use of performance management, corrective action plans, and disciplinary actions;
• Advises employees and managers regarding benefits and leave programs (i.e. short-term disability, long-term disability, family medical leave ( FMLA ), etc.);
• Coordinates benefits open enrollment;
• Assists in the administration of the student employment program;
• Processes all documents and employee information in the HRIS system in a timely fashion by keeping employee records up-to-date;
• Processes benefit paperwork (e.g. cobra notifications, insurance enrollment applications, etc.);
• Assists in the development, implementation, and/or delivery of training on personnel policies, procedures and practices;
• Processes initial unemployment responses and represents the University in unemployment hearings;
• Conducts investigations as required;
• Manages worker’s compensation claims and accident reports; processes year-end reporting;
• Composes written correspondence;
• Leads, guides, and supports the activities of support staff, as appropriate;
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned; and
• Maintain regular attendance.
Minimum Job Requirements
• Education: Bachelor’s Degree
• Experience: One (1) year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities listed or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge and experience with Ellucian BANNER Human Resources module;
• Experience working in a Human Resources Department in a higher education environment;
• SHRM -CP or HRCI - PHR certification preferred;
• Previous experience in a union environment, a plus.
Special Conditions for Eligibility Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
• Ability to proactively use discretion and sound judgment when guiding supervisors and employees;
• Ability to protect confidential information and communicate with impeccable discretion in all matters related to employees and internal processes;
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities;
• Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals;
• Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures;
• Knowledge of human resources principles, practices, and processes;
• Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues;
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality;
• Knowledge of current federal and state employment law and regulations;
• Ability to prepare and present training programs and materials;
• Knowledge of compensation administration principles and procedures;
• Ability to analyze complex information, and to define and solve problems;
• Ability to maintain composure under stress;
• Able and willing to work well in a diverse environment;
• Ability to respond to emotional employee situations in a calming and resilient manner;
• Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint and SharePoint).
• Repetitive hand motions and prolonged use of computer;
• Must occasionally lift and/or move up to forty (40) pound;
• Sitting for extended periods of time.
• Work is performed in a typical interior/office work environment;
• Frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions;
• Work regularly requires more than 40 hours per week to include weekends and holidays.
Pay Rate $49,022 Salary Work Location/Campus Center Las Vegas, NM Campus EEO Statement
New Mexico Highlands University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We are committed to the University values of diversity, accessibility, excellence, and responsiveness.
For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the link below for more information regarding affirmative action and equal opportunity:
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
Posting Number AS397P Open Date 06/25/2020 Close Date 08/19/2020 Open Until Filled Special Instructions to Applicant
A complete online application must include: 1) Letter of interest/cover letter; 2) Resume; 3) Names, telephone numbers and email address of three (3) professional references in online application; 4) copies of unofficial transcripts. Candidates who are invited for on-campus interviews will be required to submit official transcripts. References will be contacted in conjunction with on-campus interview. Upload required materials with online application. For disabled access or services, call (505) 454-3242 or contact Human Resources at email@example.com NMHU IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Quick Link http://nmhu.peopleadmin.com/postings/5926 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * Provide examples of how you handled difficult situations with
those you have worked with.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Tell us how you maintain constant performance while under
time and work load pressures.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have working in an office
- More than 10
- * Please describe the attributes that will make you a strong
candidate for this position
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe in detail how your background and experience
would be applicable for this position in a College/University
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts Conferring Required Degree
- Letter(s) of Recommendation