The Mental Health Clinician/Multicultural Specialist (1) performs the duties of a mental health clinician, providing multi-culturally informed clinical services to Miami University students; training and supervisory services to mental health trainees; and consultation services to faculty, staff, students and families; and (2) provides educational, outreach, and consultation services specifically designed to enhance the academic success, retention, and personal development of diverse student populations. Through this work, the aim is to advance intentional efforts to provide services to our increasingly diverse student population. This is a full-time (40 hour per week), 10-month position.
“Mental Health Clinician” responsibilities:
• Provides multi-culturally informed psychological services (i.e. individual and group counseling) to Miami University students presenting with a wide range of mental health concerns; and makes referrals to other specialists as appropriate.
• Intervenes in crisis and emergency situations of a mental health nature with students, including after hours on-call responsibilities.
• Consults with faculty, staff, students, families, and other professionals regarding the mental health needs of students.
• Initiates and responds to requests to provide psycho-educational programming to various groups within the university community.
• Provides clinical supervision and training of staff, psychology interns within the SCS APA-accredited psychology internship training program, and other trainees such as doctoral and masters level students from Miami’s APA-accredited Clinical Psychology Training Program, commensurate with the clinician’s licensure status.
• Maintains clinical records and provides clinical documentation and communication with external practitioners as necessary for ethical clinical treatment.
• Attends and participates in clinical staff meetings, consultations, and professional development.
• Assumes responsibility for other assignments including serving on divisional and university committees.
“Multicultural Specialist” and Administrative Responsibilities:
The Multicultural Specialist will provide clinical, educational, outreach, and consultation services specifically designed to enhance the academic success, retention, and personal development of diverse student populations. The specialist will embody a commitment to diversity/multiculturalism as expressed through ability, age, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic differences. The specialist will also collaborate with other university community members to develop, cultivate and create initiatives and programs that enhance a sense of belonging, personal development, and understanding of difference for students of color and all students at Miami University.
• Master’s degree in Counseling, or Marriage and Family Therapy,
or Social Work from an accredited program and clinical licensure in
the State of Ohio before the start date; OR doctoral degree in
Counseling or Clinical Psychology from an APA accredited Program
and licensure as a psychologist within the first year of
• Demonstrated sensitivity and commitment to multicultural issues/social justice and proven ability to interact with diverse individuals and groups
• The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to work independently and work well in a team setting
• Licensed in Ohio
• Experience working in a college counseling center
• Demonstrated training and interest in training and supervision of mental health professionals