Associate Director, Technology
The Associate Director, Technology Marketing will be housed within Virginia Tech’s LINK LICENSE LAUNCH center to support the university’s mission to connect faculty talent and university capabilities to a global innovation ecosystem, including fostering partnerships with outside agencies and businesses, with a focus on licensing of intellectual property. In this role, the Associate Director will lead a wide range of outreach, marketing, event hosting, and communications activities to support the Center’s goals of transitioning technologies into the marketplace through licensing and start-ups.
Reporting to the Director of Technology Commercialization, the Associate Director of Technology Marketing will:
• Work closely with the team to identify license-ready technologies and design and execute marketing strategies and materials to attract possible partners.
• Host a wide range of events, virtual and in-person, that includes faculty, college leadership, graduate students, and external parties, including VCs, entrepreneurs, investors to bring awareness to the portfolio and create networking opportunities.
• Craft and release a monthly newsletter as well as semi-annual and annual reports to highlight opportunities; use wide range of social media sites to reach Virginia Tech network.
• Create non-confidential technology briefs, prepare marketing packages and distribute via both passive and active means: (1) passive efforts might include posting them on relevant websites, including the Virginia Tech Intellectual Property website; (2) active efforts might include direct connection to targeted commercialization partners.
• Work with staff, students, interns, and others to identify and market opportunities, when needed improve and maintain procedures for administrative efficiency, develop internal forms and systems as needed, and create systematic ways to reach important constituents with regular updates.
• Maintain productive relationships with all campus and external organizations that play a role in technology transfer and enterprise creation.
• Ensure compliance with Virginia Tech, State and Federal laws, regulations and policies applicable to technology transfer and intellectual property.
• Be an active member of the Virginia Tech community of practice for technology transfer and commercialization, by providing guidance and serve as a resource to other community members, including researchers, management, and other licensing staff members.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and significant relevant university business development, alliance management, marketing or technology transfer experience;
• Degree or proven professional experience in science, engineering and/or technology fields
• Experience/knowledge in key functional areas, such as corporate partnerships and strategic alliances, technology marketing and communications; and science, engineering, and technology fields;
• Demonstrated ability to manage a complex portfolio of diverse technologies and carry multiple, extended projects concurrently through to completion, with respect to technology development, milestones, and non-financial terms of the licenses;
• Excellent interpersonal skills; a flexible outlook and ability to handle peak stress periods with logic and a calm demeanor;
• Team player with proven analytical and strategic capabilities;
• Excellent communication skills, including the ability to develop and present written or oral materials in a concise and professional manner.
• Previous experience working with innovators and/or faculty in highly technical domains;
• Previous experience in a complex, research-driven environment, as well as demonstration of effective collaboration with a wide variety of industry and legal professionals;
• Proven success in building productive relationships and facilitation with senior executives, administrators, key business leaders, faculty, staff, institutional boards, volunteers, and/or donors;
• Previous business development/strategy experience developing progressively complex strategies and using data analytics, technical/domain knowledge and information, and competitive/market intelligence to guide decision making.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
September 4, 2020
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (insert name) at (insert email address) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: August 5, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Management Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Marketing & Sales Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg