Postdoctoral Associate - Wildlife Nutrition Fellow (63316)
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
Disney’s Animal Kingdom continues to develop its Animal Nutrition Research Program with the purpose of improving the knowledge of the nutritional needs of non-domesticated species as an integral part of a multi-disciplinary approach to the conservation and scientific understanding of wild animal species.
The emphasis of this fellowship is the assessment of diets for terrestrial and aquatic captive wild species as part of the preventive medicine program within Disney’s Animal Kingdom Animal Programs (Orlando, FL). As a member of the Animal Nutrition Center Team, the research fellow helps investigate the impact of using different diets / ingredients on the health and performance of the animal population. Particular emphasis is given to developing nutritional laboratory techniques, (e.g. Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy, energy metabolism techniques, etc.) in the assessment of diets. The Wildlife Nutrition Fellow also works with Animal Programs staff to develop guest experiences that educate the public about nutrition and its role within conservation programs. Results of research projects will be disseminated through appropriate journals and scientific presentations.
- Within a team setting at Walt Disney’s World, the incumbent will help investigate the impact of using different diets/ingredients on the health, performance, and microbiota of the animal population. Incumbent will apply statistical models to help conduct studies /evaluations in order to determine their acceptability and impact on the health of animal species.
- Assessment of diets for terrestrial and aquatic captive wild species. Incumbent will meet with animal care staff, veterinarians, and nutritionists to discuss animal performance and health in order to evaluate the adequacy of the amount and nutrient content of the diets. In collaboration with the team, dietary changes and amounts fed will be made when necessary.
- Incumbent will help disseminate results of research projects through appropriate journals, articles, and scientific presentations. Attendance to selected animal nutrition-related conferences will be encouraged.
- The incumbent will be using various nutrition laboratory techniques and equipment including near infra-red spectrophotometry, bomb calorimetry, respirometry, equipment, etc. to assess quality of diets and help with obtaining research results.
- Work with Operations Manager (Nutritionist) and Animal Programs staff to help guest experiences that educate the public about animal nutrition and its role within conservation programs. Incumbent will answer questions of guests about animal health, performance, conservation, management, etc.
- The incumbent will be shadowing in the food preparation area and learn the daily management of a modern Zoo Animal Nutrition Center (ANC). Incumbent will also work with Nutritionist, Assistant Nutritionist, ANC managers, and other staff in diet updates and diet assessments.
Required: Minimum qualification is PhD in Animal Science or related discipline.
Preferred qualification is experience working in zoological/wildlife institutions
For full consideration, candidates should apply and submit additional materials by 19 August 2020. The position will remain open until a viable applicant pool is determined.
Dr. Diwakar Vyas, Assistant Professor
Department of Animal Sciences,
University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.
Dr. Eduardo V. Valdes, Nutritionist and Operations Manager
Department of Animal Health
Animals, Science and Environment Line of Business
Walt Disney World Resort
- Individuals wishing to apply should go online to http://apply.interfolio.com/77840
- Cover letter that states applicant’s interest in the position and qualifications relative to the credentials listed above
- Curriculum vitae
- Contact information (including email addresses) for 3 individuals willing to write letters of recommendation
Selected candidate will be required to provide an official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) .
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under Florida Sunshine and Public Record laws.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University and greater Gainesville community enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Nutrition Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Veterinary Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville