Assistant or Associate Professor of Biology
Assistant or Associate Professor of Biology
(Full-time tenure-track faculty position, anticipated for Spring Semester 2021)
POSITION TITLE: Assistant or Associate Professor of Biology
DEPARTMENT: School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
POSITION SUMMARY: This is an appointment for a full-time tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor of Biology (rank depending upon qualifications). This position will teach Anatomy and Physiology, Biology, and Genetics. Other courses could include Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. Must teach effectively using alternative modalities (e.g., on-line, video livestreaming, Moodle, etc.) in addition to a traditional classroom setting. This position will work as a team member on undergraduate program development. Appointment anticipated to begin Spring semester, 2021.
RESPONSIBILITIES: All faculty positions include a minimum of a 12-credit teaching load (may include online, web-based, or interactive video instruction and/or courses at off-campus locations), academic advising, as well as participation in school committees and College governance. The preferred candidate will be able to teach Anatomy and Physiology, Biology, and Genetics, and other courses as needed and qualified. The successful candidate will demonstrate evidence of the potential for excellence in teaching, and dedication to College and community service.
All faculty are expected to:
- Take a supportive interest in the academic progress of each of his/her students.
- Meet with his/her classes as scheduled. In case a faculty member is kept from his/her duties by illness or other legitimate reason, the faculty member must inform the respective Dean in advance, if possible, so that arrangements can be made for assignments or a substitute instructor.
- Maintain adequate office hours as assigned so that he/she may be available to the students for conferences to assist students toward achieving student success.
- Participate in the faculty-student advisory program.
- Keep abreast of his/her academic discipline through continuing study, and/or active participation in his/her professional organizations.
- Continuously strive to improve the effectiveness of his/her teaching.
- Keep accurate records of grades and other information required by the Deans, Registrar, Provost, President and any other administrator as may be appropriate.
- Attend all faculty meetings of the college and the respective school in which the faculty teaches.
- Attend commencement and convocations and to cooperate fully with the BSC Board of Governors, the President, the Provost and the Dean in promoting the interests of Bluefield State College and the respective School.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must have an earned Ph.D. in either Anatomy and Physiology, Biology, Genetics or related discipline (with degree conferred no later than 12/31/20). Experience in teaching lower level Biology courses at the college or university level. An ability to effectively use alternative modalities (e.g., on-line, video livestreaming, Moodle, etc.) in addition to teaching effectively in a traditional classroom setting.
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Position is dependent upon available funding.
THE COLLEGE: The mission of Bluefield State College is to provide students an affordable, accessible opportunity for public higher education. A historically black institution, Bluefield State College prepares students for diverse professions, graduate study, informed citizenship, community involvement, and public service in an ever-changing global society. More information about the College is available at www.bluefieldstate.edu
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Completed applications are to be submitted in electronic format only to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include:
- Letter of interest specific to the position;
- A completed BSC Employment Application (form available at https://www.bluefieldstate.edu/resources/human-resources/jobs
- Contact information for at least three professional references; and
- Transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the application process; official transcripts will be required of the selected candidate.
DATE POSTED: August 5, 2020
CLOSING DATE: Position is open until filled. For full consideration, applications must be received by 4:00 pm EST, Monday, August 31, 2020. Applications will be accepted until position is filled; however, applications received after the deadline may not receive full consideration.
Bluefield State College is an HBCU, AA/EOE/ADA employer, committed to the principle that minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The college complies with all applicable federal and state laws designed to promote equal educational and employment opportunities. Bluefield State College does not provide H1B visa or employment sponsorship.
Apply for Assistant or Associate Professor of Biology
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bluefield
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bluefield
- Biology & Life Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bluefield