Math Education Lecturer Pool
The department of Mathematics and Statistics at SJSU has 4 undergraduate programs and 3 graduate programs. In addition, we also train students who are pursuing a single subject credential in Mathematics.
Brief Description of Duties
- Candidate must be to teach undergraduate mathematics and
mathematics education courses and supervise student teachers. We
are seeking outstanding faculty who can teach in a variety of high
impact pedagogical approaches and who have very strong mathematical
backgrounds and abilities.
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience
understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity
– in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and
academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching
strategies and advisement.
- All Faculty should be organizing their classes within the
Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), the official LMS provided
for the SJSU community. All classes at SJSU, whether online or not,
must be anchored in the Canvas platform to ensure faculty-student
connection in a common space as all students are directed to log in
to Canvas for online access to their classes. You will have access
to this system prior to the semester start date.
- An MS or MA in mathematics (or applied mathematics or statistics) is required.
- A California single subject teaching credential in Mathematics is required.
- Local high school teaching experience.
- Experience teaching college math courses.
- Working knowledge of the requirements involved in student teaching required for the credential program
- Expertise in CalTPA, the Teaching Performance Assessment required by student teachers in the credential program.
- Evidence of good oral and written communication skills.
- Commitment to student learning and team performance are required.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the “Order of Work,” or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.
Salary Range - To commensurate with experience.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Expertise, including professional experience, courses you are qualified to teach
- List of at least 3 References
To receive full consideration for Fall 2020, applications should be received by Aug 10. Position is open until filled.
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked fifth nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: August 04, 2020 (3:00 PM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- English as a Second Language Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose