Communications Writer (Freelance Consultant)
A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing academic and operational success. This role will serve as Communications Writer supporting the Office of Public Affairs related to COVID-19 communications, and other university communications as necessary, including emergency communications, and keeping abreast of the latest news and trends in higher education. The writer will write a series of press releases, memorandum, and blog articles as assigned by the Office of the President.
- Assist with creation, posting, and dissemination of content that features key resources, drives traffic to FMU’s website, and supports other outreach efforts.
- Evaluate communications for success using Google Analytics or in e-mail and social media metrics.
- Write blog articles in categories such as university news, diversity, student life, student wellness, career development, higher education policy, and financial aid.
- Work with the Director of Communications & Marketing to craft story ideas, provide updates, and set deadlines.
- Cultivate authoritative sources and conduct interviews with subject-matter experts.
- Create and adhere to a university communications plan that addresses all forms of communication and media, including but not limited to, email, print, web and social media.
- Ability to remain tactful, calm, and persuasive in controversial and/or confrontational situations.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relates to the position.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and time management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- The position requires a master’s degree in marketing or communications. Experience in social media and e-mail best practices. Knowledge of marketing online content and engaging with a variety of audiences (e.g., higher education).
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and understanding of organization structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Experience covering education or a related area(s); ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment; strong knowledge of AP style.
- Strong research capabilities and knowledge of sourcing standards; .
- Ability to translate complex topics into clear, concise language
- Basic knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO); high attention to detail.
- Screening is required: criminal background-check and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if applicable.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a list of three professional references (at least one from a previous employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Communications Not specified Part Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Other Communications Not specified Part Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Part Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Miami Gardens