General Maintenance HVAC Technician
Exercise overall responsibility for inspecting, planning, programming, and implementing the preventive maintenance HVAC program of the campus and other assigned facilities.
This position spans several technical functions for the College. While the primary focus is on preventive maintenance of heating, air conditioning, and control, this position is frequently required to supervise tradesmen of other crafts and to direct, monitor, and approve actions, performance, and/or products of contractors and vendors as they complete work for Carthage College.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Develops, coordinates establishes and executes HVAC schedule to ensure services or repairs on a frequency necessary to maintain Carthage College investment to the quality standards and reliability with an emphasis on safety
- Organizes, trains, leads, schedules, and supervises HVAC crews consisting of house employees and contractors to carry out tasks with high level of craftsmanship
- Evaluates available heating and air conditioning products, standardizes products and hardware to achieve economy
- Submits purchase requests in accordance with established HVAC schedule to ensure ready availability of materials, supplies, and equipment required
- Coordinates with department heads to ensure availability of facilities/areas to be repaired or maintained and minimizes disruptions of ongoing operations and/or classes
- Responsible for coordination of special projects with outside heating and air conditioning contractors
- Determines and monitors stock inventory levels which pertain to the HVAC area
- Maintains and submits reports of all man-hours and material utilized in performing heating and air conditioning service functions for the College
- Monitors all buildings tied into Central Environmental Control System and makes the necessary corrections and adjustments to match building requirements
- Installs, repairs, adjusts, services, and maintains digital and pneumatic control systems for heating, ventilation, air conditioning, humidity, and laboratory equipment. This includes calibration of related instruments, fume hoods, gauges, and controls.
- Installs operates, services, and repairs conventional mechanical refrigeration/air conditioning equipment including ice machines, standard refrigerators, and general-purpose conditioning units
- Conducts necessary tests of equipment to determine malfunctions or causes of breakdown; removes and replaces faulty parts, subassemblies and major components. Re-tests equipment with repaired components and makes required adjustments and corrections.
- Responsible for inventory and safe usage of Carthage College equipment and tools assigned to the HVAC area
- Required to make emergency repairs at hours other than normally scheduled
- Completes other related duties as assigned by the Manager of Building and Grounds Services
DESCRIPTION OF NONESSENTIAL DUTIES:
Complete periodic reports as required by management
Supervise the Physical Plant staff in the absences of the superintended
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervises and mentors a crew of 2 and outside contractors which includes frequent and ongoing feedback, annual performance reviews, and training and development plans for employees.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.)
- Minimum Technical/Trade school graduation or equivalent apprenticeship required
- Minimum ten years of experience at the journey level required, including at least 3-5 years at a supervisory level
- Ability to work within the overall organization of the Physical Plant, work collaboratively with skilled and unskilled personnel, and represent the College favorably to the public
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions and demonstrate ability to express ideas effectively and concisely
- Must demonstrate compliance with all required safety policies and procedures
- Must be willing to seek training to enhance or learn new skills
- Must demonstrate knowledge of heating, refrigeration/air conditioning, boilers and/or pneumatic and digital control systems
- Must demonstrate knowledge of all tools, materials, methods, and hazards of the trade
- Must demonstrate knowledge of local and national fire underwriter’s codes as applicable to work performed
- Must demonstrate knowledge of boiler codes and safety practices
- Must possess and maintain required licensing to work in HVAC and boiler repairs in the State of Wisconsin as a technician and as a small boiler operator
- Must possess and maintain valid Wisconsin Driver License
PROTECTIVE CLOTHING REQUIRED:
As required/needed to perform the job
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: (The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The phrases “occasionally,” “regularly,” and “frequently” correspond to the following definitions: “occasionally” means up to 1/3 of working time, “regularly” means between 1/3 and 2/3 of working time, and “frequently” means 2/3 and more of working time.)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to stand, stoop, and/or walk. The employee is frequently required to talk and/or hear, and/or use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to lift 100 pounds and demonstrate sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job,
WORK ENVIRONMENT: (The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
Work is performed mostly in an outdoor environment at the Carthage Campus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate and varies based on power tool usage and amount of vehicle traffic. Must demonstrate ability to perform responsibilities in extreme weather conditions, such as heat and cold, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the occupation described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the occupation.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation,national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Kenosha
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Kenosha
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Kenosha
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Kenosha
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Kenosha