Director of External Relations
Director of External Relations & Alumni Affairs
Athens State University
The Director of External Relations and Alumni Affairs reports directly to the Vice President for University Advancement and is responsible for external relations and developing strategies designed to increase giving to the Athens State University Foundation by alumni and friends of the University. The Director is primarily responsible for event management and stewardship of alumni and friends of the University.
- Manage all aspects of fundraising initiatives for special
events and projects relating to University Advancement.
- Provide oversight for the office of Alumni Affairs and work
closely with the Alumni Board of Directors to ensure that the
University maintains an active and vibrant Alumni
- Contribute toward the development of materials including
brochures, case statements and other media that support the
Foundation's fundraising goals.
- Prepare and complete reports in a timely fashion to document
activities related to fundraising goals and objectives.
- Actively recruit and engage alumni and friends of the
University to take part in University events and
- Assist in preparing and providing material for University
publications including The Column, press releases and other
materials as needed.
- Actively participate in updating and enhancing the Advancement
database through the Salesforce CRM platform to ensure information
is current and accurate.
- Follow the policies of the University and Foundation with
regard to the processing and acceptance of gifts.
- Actively work toward building cooperative and collaborative
relationships with University Colleges, Departments, faculty, staff
and community entities.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing work scope
and tasks based on need.
- Identify opportunities for improvements to work practices and
offers viable solutions for implementation.
- Proactively engage in problem solving related to tasks in this
position with internal and external constituencies.
- Completes other tasks as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
• Experience in higher education or related field managing events
• Working knowledge of University operations related to engagement with multiple constituencies
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to relate to diverse constituencies
• Strong organizational skills
• Working knowledge in support strategies and techniques used to engage broad community constituencies both locally and regionally
• Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to include limited travel
• Able to maintain discretion regarding donor activities
Salary Band: A10
To view salary schedules visit: https://www.athens.edu/human-resources/salary-schedule-tables/
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Unofficial transcripts should be from the college or university which verifies minimum qualifications for the position. Upon an offer of employment, official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be submitted. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
Please provide contact information for three professional references on your application.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://jobs.athens.edu/postings/search
About Athens State University
Located in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers junior and senior-level coursework to community college graduates and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens State because of its neighborly environment where 50 majors and degree programs are offered, with courses taught by a supportive and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for four online programs including computer science, accounting, education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business. The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention.
In accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that criminal background check.
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Athens State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens, AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.