Associate Dean for Academic Programs
Associate Dean for Academic
NC State University
The Poole College of Management
The Poole College of Management is young, agile and innovative. The college is also deeply rooted in NC State’s history as a university that excels at science, technology, engineering and math. The result: a dynamic research and learning environment for our students and our partners in business and industry. The faculty brings two more ingredients to the mix: real-world experience and a passion for enabling others to succeed.
This has led to the creation of research-learning initiatives like our Business Sustainability Collaborative, the Enterprise Risk Management Initiative and our Supply Chain Resource Collaborative, among others. For companies large and small, nonprofits and governments, these initiatives are a bridge that connects research and best practice.
For its more than 3,500 students, the college is at the forefront of business education, providing experiential learning that prepares career-ready graduates. The college’s ongoing success has been reflected in its remarkable rise in national reputation since its founding in 1992.
The associate dean for academic programs is a core member of the Poole College of Management senior leadership team and oversees all academic programs in the college.
The college is home to the following academic programs, all of which fall under the purview of the associate dean for academic programs:
- Bachelor of Science in business administration.
- Bachelor of Science in accounting.
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts in economics.
- Master of Business Administration.
- Master of Accounting.
- Master of Management.
- Master of Economics and Master of Science in economics.
- Ph.D. in economics.
Leading the strategic planning process and execution for all academic programs in the Poole College, the associate dean will work closely with other members of the college’s executive team to create new programs and new and updated curricula to meet the ever-changing demands of the educational marketplace in which the Poole College competes.
The primary duties of the associate dean include, the following:
- Serving as a nonvoting member of the college’s Graduate Programs Committee and other key curriculum committees, including the MBA curriculum committee.
- Representing the college in academic matters across the university and externally.
- Providing oversight for the college’s portfolio of graduate certificate programs.
- Overseeing the budgets for each of the academic programs.
- Providing guidance with regard to academic exceptions, including withdrawals, course exceptions, grading status, transfer equivalencies, etc., and curricular review.
- Representing the college with the Graduate School, the Division of Academic and Student Affairs, the associate deans group and various university curriculum committees.
- Overseeing the college’s assurance of learning processes as required for accreditation with AACSB and SACS.
- Representing Poole College, as needed, at college and university events.
- Regularly engaging with key external stakeholders, including prospective students, parents, alumni, corporate partners, the Poole College Board of Advisors and community leaders.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the dean of the Poole College of Management.
The associate dean for academic programs has the following direct reports:
- Assistant dean of undergraduate programs.
- Director, MBA Career Services
- Director of Master of Management - Global Luxury and Management
In addition, the associate dean also provides leadership and oversight of directors of other academic programs, including:
- The Master of Accounting (housed in the Department of Accounting).
- The Master of Economics (housed in the Department of Economics).
- The Ph.D. in economics (housed jointly in the Department of Economics).
Required Skills and Preferred
Our preferred candidate must possess a doctoral degree in a business-related field and a minimum of three years of academic leadership experience. The candidate will be an experienced faculty member with a research record commensurate with that of a tenured full professor in a business discipline.
The associate dean will also possess the following attributes:
- Experience in all areas of educational delivery in a business school environment.
- A cooperative leadership style with a proven ability to craft a strategic direction and vision and lead a team toward a common goal.
- The demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders and manage multiple tasks effectively.
- The demonstrated experience leading in an academic environment.
- A commitment to creating an environment that emphasizes the importance of inclusion of diverse people and perspectives across all aspects of the college.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with and understanding of the online education market.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and building programs in a research-focused business school.
- A strong understanding of the workings of a large land-grant university and the ability to forge partnerships inside and outside the university.
- Demonstrated commitment to creating an environment that emphasizes the importance of inclusion of diverse peoples and perspectives across all aspects of the college;
- Experience leading or managing a large team with varied responsibilities across multiple units or departments.
- Experience with developing, launching and managing high-performing academic programs.
How to Apply
Inquiries about the position and nominations are invited and may be directed to NC State Executive Search Services at email@example.com.
A confidential review of applications began in June and will continue until the position is filled. Candidates should provide a curriculum vita, cover letter and the names and contact information of three references. References will not be contacted without prior knowledge and approval of candidates. These materials may be submitted online at https://jobs.ncsu.edu/ (position #00000962).
About NC State
NC State University began as a land-grant institution grounded in agriculture and engineering. Today we’re a leading public research university that excels across disciplines.
NC State is a powerhouse in science, technology, engineering and math. We lead in agriculture, education, textiles, business and natural resources. We’re at the forefront of teaching and research in design, the humanities and the social sciences. And we’re home to one of the planet’s best colleges of veterinary medicine.
Our more than 36,000 undergraduate and graduate students learn by doing. They pursue research and start new companies. They forge connections with top employers and serve local and global communities. And they enjoy an outstanding return on investment.
Each year, NC State creates $6.5 billion in added income for the statewide economy, equivalent to creating more than 90,000 new jobs. That represents significant return on investment for the citizens of North Carolina in the form of research advances, innovative technologies, successful companies, skilled graduates and new jobs waiting for them.
Our 9,000 faculty and staff are world leaders in their fields, bridging the divides between academic disciplines and training high-caliber students to meet tomorrow’s challenges. Together, they forge powerful partnerships with government, industry, nonprofits and academia to remake our world for the better.
NC State is leading efforts to curb nuclear proliferation, develop a smart electric grid, create self-powered health monitors, help farmers confront climate change and build a new American manufacturing sector. Our award-winning Centennial Campus is home to more than 70 public and private partners, as well as the innovative Hunt Library, which Time magazine dubbed “the library of the future” in 2013.
About Raleigh and North Carolina
It all happens in one of the best cities in America. A top spot for job seekers and tech professionals, Raleigh is nationally recognized as a leading urban center:
- 2 easiest city to find a job (Forbes, 2015).
- 2 hot spot for tech jobs (Forbes, 2016).
- 3 best city for young professionals (Forbes, 2016).
- 13 best place to live (U.S. News & World Report).
- Best big city in the Southeast (Time, 2016).
- Selected as a Google Fiber expansion city.
With Durham and Chapel Hill, Raleigh anchors the Research Triangle, a national hotspot for high-tech enterprise. The top companies in the region — including IBM, Cisco Systems, SAS Institute, Biogen Idec and GlaxoSmithKline — are among the country’s best employers. They also lead the way in hiring new NC State graduates.
More than 130 years after its creation, NC State continues to make its founding purpose a reality. Every day, our career-ready graduates and world-leading faculty make the fruits of learning and discovery available to people across the state, throughout the nation and around the world.
NC State provides equal opportunity and affirmative action efforts, and the university prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation that are based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, gender identity, genetic information, sexual orientation or veteran status.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Raleigh
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Raleigh
- Academic Administration Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Raleigh
- Deans Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Raleigh