Instructor of the Practice in Engineering Labs
The Department of Engineering at Dixie State University in St. George, Utah, invites applicants for a full-time Instructor of the Practice faculty position, working specifically with Engineering Labs, to begin Spring Semester 2021. The preferred candidate will be expected to maintain engineering labs and teach lab courses as directed; candidates with a strong prototyping background are encouraged to apply.
The Engineering programs at Dixie State offer students immersive experiences with lab courses, Dixie Design Day projects, training in a variety of prototyping techniques, and tours of local manufacturing facilities. More information about the department and its associated programs can be found online at https://mech.dixie.edu .
- Teach 30 credits of laboratory courses within the Department of Engineering each academic year.
- Monitor and maintain labs within the Department of Engineering.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, and standards for lab operation to promote efficiency, effectiveness, and safety within labs.
- Ensure labs are in compliance with university, state, and federal safety regulations.
- Oversee student access to labs.
- Train engineering interns to assist in lab maintenance and monitoring.
- Provide prototyping guidance to students involved in design day and research projects.
- Hold regular office hours, attend regular department meetings, and advise on student assessment as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree (M.S.) in Mechanical Engineering, or related field, is required. Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) and a minimum of two years of relevant industry experience will also be considered.
- Demonstrated ability in successful teaching, particularly to a diverse student population found at an open-admission institution; finalists will be required to demonstrate competence through a teaching demonstration.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong commitment to lab safety and ability to work collaboratively with engineering faculty to implement safe lab practices; an organized, clean, and safe mindset is preferred.
- A strong prototyping background and/or relevant industry experience preferred.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time (9-month) faculty position. Faculty service begins January 2021, with pay & benefits starting January 1, 2021. Annual base salary commensurate upon qualifications & experience; additional compensation available for summer/overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included - see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under “Example of DSU Benefits” for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins September 1, 2020 ;position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, a Student Success Statement (approximately one page, single-spaced, about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population), and an Equipment & Process Proficiency Spreadsheet . Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to providing students with an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 12,000 students and has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last several years. We offer over 210 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - firstname.lastname@example.org , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - email@example.com , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.