Tri-County Vegetable Agent
Posting Number F0701P Working Title Tri-County Vegetable Agent Department CAES Southwest District CES About the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia ( UGA ), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education ( http://www.uga.edu/ ). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.
About the College/Unit/Department
UGA Cooperative Extension was founded in 1914 to bring research-based agricultural information to the people of Georgia. County agents and specialists throughout the state share information on issues like water quality, profitability in agribusiness, family wellness, and life skills. County agents provide soil and water test kits and instruction, advice on safe pesticide use, publications, computer programs and lessons in consumer skills to improve Georgians’ quality of life. They are the local experts in food safety, proper eating habits, child safety, and parenting. UGA Extension coordinates 4-H, Georgia’s largest youth program. Each year, almost 200,000 young Georgians participate in community projects, summer camps and conferences on today’s issues while having fun and learning to work together. The leadership skills and values they learn in 4-H last a lifetime. UGA Extension reaches more than 2.6 million Georgians through education programs each year. Millions more rely on UGA Extension’s publications, educational news articles and public television programming for advice and information.
College/Unit/Department website https://extension.uga.edu/about/districts--facilities--and-centers/southwest-district.html Posting Type External Retirement Plan TRS or ORP Employment Type Employee Benefits Eligibility Benefits Eligible Underutilization Minorities & Females Advertised Salary Commensurate with qualifications Anticipated Start Date 10/01/2020 Effective End Date (for Limited-Term postings) Job Posting Date 07/30/2020 Job Closing Date Open until filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Location of Vacancy Other South Georgia Area EEO Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Classification Title Public Service Professional AC FLSA Faculty Rank Open Rank Contract Type Fiscal (12 mo.) Tenure Status Non-Tenure Track Minimum Qualifications
Master’s degree (bachelor’s degree is sufficient for provisional hires)
This position will provide educational programming in the Agriculture and Natural Resources ( ANR ) area with an emphasis on vegetable production in Tift, Colquitt, and Worth Counties. Programming will include providing educational opportunities in production agriculture, horticulture, and natural resources with a special emphasis on vegetable production to a wide variety of audiences utilizing multiple teaching methods.
This position requires frequent night meetings, some weekend work, and attendance at out-of-county meetings. A valid driver’s license and a personal vehicle for official duty travel are required. Authorized travel expenses are reimbursed.
A Master’s degree in Agriculture or related area.
A Bachelor’s degree is acceptable for a Public Service Provisional appointment. This provisional faculty classification is offered for no more than three years without review. You may apply for a regular service faculty appointment upon completion of an advanced degree or successful progression through the public service promotion process.
See the University of Georgia Guidelines for Appointments and Promotions for Public Service and Outreach Academic Rank for complete details http://outreach.uga.edu/policies/appointment-and-promotion-guidelines/
Relevant/Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure, and/or Certification Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
-Computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
-Ability to speak to/teach large groups of residents
-Ability to organize and carry out activities and programming for youth
-Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with county, district, and state staff, local government employees, and clientele
-Ability to show high standards of professionalism in personal contacts, appearance, and work habits
-Ability to express thoughts clearly and concisely through written and verbal communication
-Ability to work as a team member and engage with groups and committees
-Ability to design, coordinate, and teach educational programs to meet community needs
-Skills in leadership and management
Physical Demands Is this a Position of Trust? Yes Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources? No Does this position require a P-Card? No Is having a P-Card an essential function of this position? No Is driving a responsibility of this position? Yes Does this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care? Yes Does this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications) No Credit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.
• Serve as an advisor and teacher for Agriculture & Natural Resources to local communities in Tift, Colquitt, and Worth Counties.
• Develop a purposeful relationship with farmers, landowners, stakeholders, and other county agents to accomplish outreach activities as related to Agriculture and Natural Resources ( ANR ).
• Utilize the expertise of these advisory groups, community leaders, public officials, and representatives of intended audiences to analyze data, identify needs, and assist in developing educational programs.
• Develops plan of work that is equitable in meeting the needs of the varied county socio-economic needs of all three counties.
• Collaborates with other agencies and community groups to plan and implement programs.
• Conducts promotional efforts to expand the public’s view of extension programming.
• Utilizes current research data and information on emerging issues in program development and teaching.
• Demonstrates personal interest and involvement in the community by participating in and supporting civic/community activities/organizations and networking with community leaders.
• Ensures the Civil Rights/Equal Employment Opportunity plan of UGA Cooperative Extension is followed and that clientele understand that Extension offers educational programs, assistance, and materials to all people without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or veteran status
• This position requires frequent night meetings, some weekend work, and attendance at out-of-county meetings. A valid driver’s license and a personal vehicle for official duty travel are required. Authorized travel expenses are reimbursed.
Percentage Of Time 100 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Unofficial Letters of Recommendation
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens