Director of Compensation (14274)
The Director of Compensation leads the design, implementation, and ongoing evaluation of American University’s compensation programs. The Director is a team leader, supervising 4 employees of the Compensation and Total Rewards & Service Delivery teams. Reporting to the Executive Director, Total Rewards & Service Delivery, the Director is responsible for directing the staff compensation and staff and student service delivery functions consistent with American University’s human capital and business objectives. This includes but is not limited to oversight of the University's job architecture, pay structure design, and merit processes.
The Director of Compensation is a leader in HR’s strategic imperative of enhancing equity and career paths with job architecture. The Director oversees the university-wide roll out and adaptation of the JDXpert (job information and description management) platform in support of the job architecture.
Additionally, t his position directs the Office of Human Resources’ service delivery function, ensuring consistency of service and timely completion of employment transactions and information requests for approximately 1,800 full time staff members and 1,500 FTE student employees.
The Director partners with the Human Resources teams as well as unit leaders and managers throughout the University in support of staff compensation and administrative services. The Director may also serve as an HR Business Partner to a University department.
- Defines jobs by developing and maintaining the university job architecture; writing job descriptions, job qualifications, and job-evaluation documentation. Evaluates job positions, determines classification, FLSA exempt or non-exempt status, and salary. Establishes external compensation equity by conducting pay surveys; analyzing pay data.
- Oversees the staff and student service delivery function to ensure the human resource needs of approximately 1,800 full-time staff and 1,500 FTE student employees are met in a timely, accurate, professional way. The service delivery team members are the first point of contact with HR customers in a variety of areas including: hiring procedures; benefit counseling; salary administration issues; and performance management. This includes the student recruitment, including federal work study as well as on-boarding student employees.
- Maintains pay structure by recommending, planning and implementing structural adjustments; prepares pay budgets. Determines methods for distributing pay increases and rewards; developing incentive plans. Aligns incentive pay systems with total compensation goals by studying compensation objectives; integrating compensation programs; recommending incentive strategies.
- Completes human resources special projects by identifying and researching human resources issues and priorities; communicating and coordinating requirements; expediting fulfillment; evaluating milestone accomplishments; evaluating optional courses of action; changing assumptions and direction.
- Supports management by providing human resources advice, counsel, and decisions; analyzing information and applications.
- Directly supervises 2 full-time HR Coordinators
- Directly supervises 1 part-time Coordinator
- Directly supervises 1 part-time Compensation Analyst
- This position reports to the Executive Director, Total Rewards & Service Delivery
- The Director partners with the Human Resources teams
- This position will also have frequent interactions with leaders and managers in departments across the University
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- 35 hours/week
- Team Leader/Consultant A
Required Education and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of relevant HR and Compensation experience which includes writing job descriptions, determining FLSA exemption status and evaluating jobs for pay
Preferred Education and Experience
- CCP - Certified Compensation Professional certification
- Experience using JDXpert, MarketPay, and Ellucian Colleague software systems preferred
Required Job Skills
- Organizational design
- Job analysis
- Job classification
- Job evaluation
- Writing job descriptions
- Analytical methods
- Project management
- Service delivery
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
- Whenever possible, American University will seek to redeploy existing staff to fill this vacancy before hiring an external candidate.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Human Resources Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.