Associate Professor, Port Management and Operations
1. Organizational setting
The World Maritime University (WMU) is a postgraduate, education and research university established in 1983 by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), a specialized agency of the United Nations. WMU’s mandate is to build global capacity in maritime and ocean areas. The University offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Professional Development Courses (PDCs) with the highest standards in maritime and oceans education and training. WMU also has a highly respected research programme and a strong record of publications across the maritime and ocean fields.
The Associate Professor position falls within the Faculty Unit at WMU’s headquarters in Malmö, Sweden.
2. Main purpose
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Vice-President (Academic Affairs), and functionally under the Head of the Specialization Port Management. As a faculty member at WMU, the Associate Professor is expected to provide teaching/mentoring/supervising, conduct research in the fields of shipping/port/logistics, publish outputs at internationally recognized outlets, and promote collaborative research with other institutes and universities.
As a member of the faculty and professional staff at WMU, the incumbent will work to keep WMU positioned as an academic institution of excellence, help advance the institution and build its reputation in the relevant field of expertise. Furthermore, the incumbent is expected to help the University accomplish its mandate and therefore to contribute to the capacity building efforts and missions of WMU within the framework of cooperation between the University, the IMO and other UN and international organizations.
3. Working relationships
Internal contacts – Incumbent liaises and interacts with all faculty members on a regular basis as well as with support staff as required.
External contacts – Incumbent liaises with scientific and industry communities, research organizations, intergovernmental organizations, non-governmental organizations, and engages with scientific journals and publishing entities.
4. Duties, responsibilities
The Associate Professor is expected, under the supervision of the Vice-President (Academic Affairs) to be engaged in:
- Teaching, including engagement in the MSc teaching programs in Malmö, and other locations as needed and assigned;
- Coordinating and participating in student field studies;
- Mentoring of MSc and PhD students and supervision of research theses/dissertations in the area of port management, operations and logistics;
- Maintaining scholarship in the form of publications in peer-reviewed journals, books, book chapters, etc.;
- Developing research projects, submission of project proposals, and delivery of such projects;
- Participating in international missions of the University and capacity building projects;
- Presentation of research findings at professional conferences and meetings;
- Being engaged in distance learning (e-learning) programmes, PDCs, and capacity-building courses as required, and
- Serving on WMU committees and work groups, and active participation in administrative, academic, and curriculum duties.
5. Minimum requirements – education, experience and language skills
- PhD in a maritime business, management and operations related disciplines (e.g. Port Economics, Management, Operations, Logistics, and/or Engineering).
- A minimum of five years of experience, after obtaining a PhD, in teaching at the post-graduate level, preferably within the areas of port management, operations and related areas,
- Demonstrated teaching and research experience in such areas as port logistics, container terminal management, port KPI, analysis of port related risks, automated and digitalized port/terminal management and operations,
- Recognized involvement in areas related to automation of ports and skills needed for the future of work in the maritime and port sector
- Proven focus and demonstrated abilities in econometrics and/or quantitative methods,
- Good understanding of the United Nations system and demonstrated involvement with international organizations in capacity building projects and similar,
- Demonstrated ability to raise research funds and to develop research/consultancy/capacity building projects,
- A strong record of scholarly publications in the field of economics, management, port management, operations and logistics.
- Experiences in curriculum development and teaching at the executive level,
- Professional experience in the maritime transport sector,
- Experience in organizing conferences and seminars,
- Software programming skills in developing terminal operating systems (for example with ARENA) and port/terminal simulations (with MATLAB).
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
6. Knowledge and skills
Knowledge and skills
- Excellent communication skills,
- Ability to work independently and as part of a professional/academic team,
- Effective organizational skills to manage time and priorities in teaching and administrative duties as appropriate,
- Ability to act as point of contact for problems/enquiries from students in your areas of expertise,
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes,
- Ability to deal with administrative matters as appropriate to status and with reference to other colleagues within WMU.
This vacancy is open to male and female candidates. WMU seeks to increase the number of women at all levels and, therefore, qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. WMU will make every effort to facilitate the employment of persons with disabilities.
The position offers an attractive salary (P3 Grade of the ICSC salary scale), free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses. Applicants must fill in the application form, which can be found at http://wmu.se/vacancies. Should send a letter of interest, a complete CV, and the contact information of three referees to Marco Batista, Head of Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).