Faculty Director of Social Justice and Diversity
Position Open in the Core Curriculum
Butler University was founded on the principles of diversity, equality, and inclusivity, and the Social Justice and Diversity (SJD) academic requirement reaffirms these founding principles by placing them formally within the Core Curriculum. The Faculty Director of Social Justice and Diversity will lead the application of this academic requirement in its inaugural year while continuing to foster the growth and development of SJD courses. The position requires a two-year commitment and comes with a $3,000 stipend and one 3-credit-hour course release per academic year. Appointment begins with the 2020-2021 academic year.
The SJD Faculty Director position is open to tenured members of the Butler faculty. The successful candidate will have taught one or more SJD-designated course(s), has been engaged with SJD through relevant programming (such as Core or SJD lunch conversations, summer pedagogy workshops, Vocational Fellows program, committee service, etc.), and possesses relevant expertise. Experience with Assessfest and/or other assessment activities is also desirable.
The Faculty Senate approved the addition of a Social Justice and Diversity (SJD) requirement to the Core Curriculum in April 2017; with the development approval of more than 50 SJD courses, the pilot phase has ended and the requirement is being implemented for students matriculating in August 2020 and thereafter.
How to Apply
Faculty are invited to submit a letter of interest highlighting their relevant qualifications and experience, and a copy of their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Friday, 7 August 2020. Please direct questions about this position to the Faculty Director of the Core Curriculum, Travis Ryan ( email@example.com ). More information about SJD is available on the Core Curriculum faculty website.
The SJD Faculty Director will lead the program into full implementation:
- Convene the SJD Faculty Advisory Committee;
- Lead Advisory Committee review of SJD course-designation proposals and make recommendations to Faculty Senate’s Curriculum Committee;
- Solicit SJD course proposals from instructional faculty and/or programs;
- Organize SJD community-building events;
- Review R&R capacity and enrollment data for SJD-designated courses with the Core Director to monitor progress towards graduation requirement implementation;
- Lead the SJD assessment process; coordinating the collection of samples of student work through OIRA and the Core Curriculum office; planning for and participating in Assessfest); identifying other faculty to participate in SJD assessment at Assessfest; and
- Communicate, coordinate, and collaborate where appropriate with administrators and organization leaders.
- The Faculty Director of the Core Curriculum will develop a search committee comprised of members of the SJD Advisory Committee.
- The search committee will review applications and identify qualified candidates to the Faculty Director of the Core Curriculum.
- In consultation with the Associate Provost, the Faculty Director of the Core Curriculum will review the list of qualified candidates, interview, and appoint the Faculty Director of Social Justice and Diversity.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Indianapolis
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Indianapolis
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Indianapolis
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Indianapolis
- Social Work & Human Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Indianapolis