Videographer, VP Enrollment & Strategic Communications
The VP Enrollment & Strategic Communications department invites applications for a Videographer (Media Manager) . This position manages, films and produces various length, branded videos for various University marketing campaigns while maintaining the integrity of the UM brand and visual identity.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, the videographer will be an active, engaged participant in all phases of the University’s marketing and communication efforts, including recruitment of prospective students and the retention of current students. The person assigned to this position is not responsible for the management or supervision of classified staff members or contract professional employees, however this position will supervise interns and students workers as necessary. The videographer is responsible for developing and maintaining good client relations, helping to meet both client and University goals and managing and maintaining quality vendor relations. Because this position will be in contact with various clients across campus and off-site vendors, this position requires confidentiality, tact, sensitivity and professionalism.
This employee will oversee the coordination, production and design of all videos for the University. These include commercials, testimonials, documentaries, campus events, announcements and other various videos to meet the University’s communications and marketing needs. This employee will be able to deliver high-quality videos on tight and long deadlines while remaining true to the authentic voice of the institution. They will manage video projects from start to finish, including initial contact and planning with clients, the creation of a project plan, development of a project plan and development of a project schedule, as well as the execution of the plan or the supervision of the execution of the plan.
This position will be expected to create new videos daily and produce content across all platforms and for all audiences. They will also be expected to create videos that are part of a story arc, as well as one-offs and standalone video. This position will consistently present new, creative and innovative ideas that speak to audiences across varied and diverse demographics. This position will be required to be a part of a university-wide storytelling team that will use cutting edge integrated marketing and strategic communication skills to communicate to all stakeholder groups. The film schedule will require off-campus traveling, as well as a willingness and ability to work nights and weekends as determined by business need.
- Extensive knowledge of camera and videography equipment
- Proficient in lighting and audio techniques
- Proven ability to work well with others, as well as put others at ease in front of cameras
- Expert proficiency in Adobe Premiere
- Ability to create motion graphics in Adobe After Effects
- Proven expert computer skills
- In-depth knowledge of the creative process in order to effectively gauge workloads and manage deadlines
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- A proactive approach to problem-solving
- Unwavering attention to detail and deadlines
- Ability to multitask between small and large-scale projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented atmosphere
- Collaborative spirit and excellent people skills
- Ability to communicate ideas to colleagues and clients in an articulate, professional manner
- Ability to take direction and work in a creative team environment, as well as work on projects independently
- Willingness and ability to work non-traditional hours (including weekends, holidays, and evenings), as necessary based upon business needs
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Photojournalism or related field, and three (3) years of professional video production experience at multi-faceted, fast-paced organization; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience writing video scripts
- Experience in developing multi-faceted project plans, as well as implementing them
- Experience working in higher education (preferably at a large, residential, flagship university)
About UM and Missoula
The University of Montana provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of innovation and creativity, impact, openness, and partnership.
Nestled in at the base of Mount Sentinel and on the banks of the Clark Fork River, UM campus is described as one of the most beautiful in the US. The region boasts unparalleled year around recreational opportunities and a vibrant arts and culture community. UM offers a unique opportunity for professional growth in a magnificent environment. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
UM provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. Located in the heart of western Montana’s stunning natural landscape, UM attracts first rate teachers, researchers, and students from around the world. A city within a city – with its own eateries, stores, medical facilities, banking and postal services, and zip code – UM has an increasingly diverse population and rich culture.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Videographer (Media Manager)
Position Number: NEW
Department: VP Enrollment & Strategic Communications
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), 12 months/year, Position requires an alternative work schedule.
Salary: $22.169/hr –Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Monday, August 10, 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
- Samples of Work –five (5) examples of video examples or link to portfolio with at least 5 examples
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular