Executive Director, Financial Controls
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Founded in 1893, the School of Medicine (SOM) is the academic medical teaching and research arm of The Johns Hopkins University. With a budget of over $2 billion, the SOM has consistently been among the nation’s top medical schools in the number of research grants awarded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and in having as its major teaching hospital, The Johns Hopkins Hospital (JHH). JHH was ranked the best hospital in the United States for 22 years by U.S. News &World Report. Sixteen Nobel laureates associated with the SOM as alumni and faculty have won the Nobel Prize in Medicine or Chemistry, two of which, are current faculty. Fifteen current faculty are members of the National Academy of Sciences. The SOM offers an M.D. an M.D./Ph.D. and 19 other graduate programs. In the current year, there are over 1,250 medical and doctoral students, and more than 2,700 full-time faculty.
This role will direct and be responsible for the coordination of accounting and control activities of all the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (JHSOM) business units. The ideal candidate will coordinate general accounting activities of and between University and School of Medicine, Clinical Practice Associates, and other business units in Johns Hopkins Medicine. This position will also assist the Chief Financial Officer in the development and monitoring of policies and procedures related to financial reporting, compliance and control.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Direct the general accounting and control activities of the JHSOM
- Develop and maintain a system of financial controls necessary to safeguard University resources
- Provide senior leadership with financial information necessary to make informed judgments related to current operating and capital activities and long-term operating and capital planning
- Compute complex statistical, cost and other financial data reported in various information systems
- Oversee preparation of the JHSOM’s monthly and annual financial reports (and other financial presentations as needed)
- Serve as the primary liaison in the coordination of audits with Internal Auditor and third-party auditors and develop responses to audit comments and recommendations
- Administer funds and budgets as directed by the Chief Financial Officer
- Consult with and advise department heads, budget officers, principal investigators, research administrators and other university staff concerning policies, procedures and regulations
- Coordinate development of educational training programs related to financial reporting systems, policies and procedures
- Participate in the development of financial policies and procedures
- Participate on workgroups in the development and operation of Johns Hopkins Medicine and Johns Hopkins University financial information systems
- Participate in the development and implementation of strategic planning goals, objectives and strategies as they relate to the provision of accounting services
- Represent the Chief Financial Officer to other administrative units as well as to outside vendors, auditors, foundations, sponsoring agencies and federal regulatory agencies
- Serve on committees and maintain liaison with major administrative units
- Monitor and approve the release of financial information
- Perform human resource functions including interviewing, selection, training, performance evaluation, salary determination, promotion and disciplinary action
- Develop the skills and expertise of analysts with ongoing training
- Interpret and analyze regulations of federal, state or other regulatory programs that would impact business operations
- Establish and maintain standards of collaborative interaction among peers and employees that is characterized by respect, honesty and service; assures that all unit members are held to similar standards and ethics; constructively manages conflict
- Manage the talents, strengths and behaviors of each individual in a diverse work group, while providing each employee with the opportunity to contribute to the goals of the unit
- Work to assure that all employees are respected and treated consistent with University policies in regard to equal employment opportunity and diversity
- Inspire and motivate others to high performance by exercising strong stewardship of University resources, setting expectations, measuring success through individual performance evaluations, and driving organizational results
- Identify opportunities for and create development plans that encourage employees to attend to the growth of their personal and professional capacity
- Perform other related duties as needed and requested
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- Master’s degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting or an equivalent combination of related education and experience
- Extensive (7+ years) experience in finance and/or accounting
- Demonstrated job-related experience with and/or commitment to diversity in the work/academic environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be proficient in computer software applications
- Extensive knowledge of Financial Accounting Standards (FASB)
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Designation as a CPA
- Experience in the application of GAAP in a university setting
- Experience in the development, implementation, and on-going utilization of automated financial systems
- Extensive knowledge with healthcare compliance policy, including but not limited to: HIPPA, Corporate Compliance, Accreditation, and other regulatory requirements
- Experience working in a highly complex environment, with accountability for leading staff
- High degree of initiative, judgment, discretion, and decision making being able to analyze situations accurately and taking effective action as needed
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of employees and external contacts, including regulators, payers, contractors, vendors, customers, etc.
- Knowledge of research funding and appreciation for working in a research-intensive academic culture is highly preferred
Nearest Major Market:Baltimore
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
More searches like this
- Administrative Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Financial Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore