Accessibility Services Coordinator (PART-TIME)
A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing academic success. The Accessibility Services Coordinator acts as an advocate for students with disabilities to ensure they are afforded an equal opportunity to benefit from, and participate in, any program available at Florida Memorial University.
The Accessibility Services Coordinator determines the appropriate accommodation(s) for new and continuing students with verified disabilities for all academic course/exam terms. Responsibilities include:
- Provide information, direction, and support services for students with learning, cognitive, mental health or physical disabilities.
- Conduct initial telephone intake interviews; collect, review and evaluate documentation submitted; determine eligibility for requested accommodations and make recommendations of other accommodation options appropriate for their diagnosis.
- Review and interpret confidential psycho-educational assessments and other documents to determine eligibility for accommodations and specific services; assist students in acquiring additional documentation and/or clarification of submitted documentation.
- Have a working knowledge regarding the federal non-discriminatory mandates of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the American with Disabilities Act and its amendments.
- Have familiarity with various formats of course materials as well as various learning management systems, such as Blackboard.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relates to the position.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and time management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of average-weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA), those functions of the job which are identified essential are required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will be given careful consideration.
- The position requires a bachelor's degree with two (2) plus years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Direct experience working in student services. A master's degree and higher education experience is preferred.
- Experience in evaluating confidential documentation of disability and determining eligibility for services and accommodations).
- Sound decision-making and problem-solving abilities; ability to work strategically to manage competing demands.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the concerns and needs of a diverse student population.
- Knowledge and familiarity with various assistive and adaptive technologies.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and understanding of organization structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Extensive hours and weekends will be required at times.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background-check and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if applicable.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a list of three professional references (at least one from a previous employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Distance Education Programs Not specified Part Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Student Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Part Time jobs in Miami Gardens