Maintenance Mechanic (Plumber)
A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing operational success. The Plumber will be responsible for the installation, maintenance and repair of plumbing and piping systems in University facilities. Maintain and install plumbing systems, prepare work from plans, sketches, work orders, specifications and ensure that these systems are functioning safely and effectively.
- Overall charge of maintenance in plumbing. Repair or replace damaged parts.
- Keeps accurate records of assignments to produce detailed work reports while compliance with safety and environmental regulations.
- Diagnose plumbing problems and work to resolve any issues.
- Read blueprints and other technical documents to asses building needs and pipe/plumbing fixture plans.
- Work with contractors to assess client needs and plan plumbing layout.
- Determine materials needed for each new project; estimate time and cost.
- Install, assemble, maintain, and repair pipes and plumbing fixtures.
- Affix clamps, screws, brazing, soldering, welds, etc. to pipes and tubes.
- Measure and modify pipes accordingly by cutting, threading, or bending pipes by using specialized tools.
- Install and/or repair household appliances like dishwashers, water heaters, toilets, sinks, etc.
- Confirm pipe system is air/watertight by performing pressure tests
- Keep detailed notes and create work reports documenting projects.
- Test plumbing and other installed fixtures to ensure proper functioning
- Educate and follow-up with clients on installation and/other projects.
- Follow state laws and regulations and adhere to local building codes
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relates to the position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and time management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of average-weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA), those functions of the job which are identified essential are required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will be given careful consideration.
- The position requires a High School Diploma/GED; or equivalent work experience. Vocational certification or associate’s degree preferred.
- Must have experience using reading technical designs and blueprints.
- Ability to manage, prioritize and bring to completion multiple projects.
- Climb ladders and work at heights above ground level (maximum 3ft).
- Ability to work in different environmental working conditions (e.g. heat, cold, wind, rain).
- Proficiency using plumbing tools, materials, and equipment. Expert knowledge in piping and ventilation systems.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and understanding of organization structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Extensive hours and weekends will be required at times.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background-check and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if applicable.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a list of three professional references (at least one from a previous employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Other Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens