A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing
operational success. The Plumber will be responsible for the
installation, maintenance and repair of plumbing and piping systems
in University facilities. Maintain and install plumbing systems,
prepare work from plans, sketches, work orders, specifications and
ensure that these systems are functioning safely and
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Overall charge of maintenance in plumbing. Repair or replace
- Keeps accurate records of assignments to produce detailed work
reports while compliance with safety and environmental
- Diagnose plumbing problems and work to resolve any issues.
- Read blueprints and other technical documents to asses building
needs and pipe/plumbing fixture plans.
- Work with contractors to assess client needs and plan plumbing
- Determine materials needed for each new project; estimate time
- Install, assemble, maintain, and repair pipes and plumbing
- Affix clamps, screws, brazing, soldering, welds, etc. to pipes
- Measure and modify pipes accordingly by cutting, threading, or
bending pipes by using specialized tools.
- Install and/or repair household appliances like dishwashers,
water heaters, toilets, sinks, etc.
- Confirm pipe system is air/watertight by performing pressure
- Keep detailed notes and create work reports documenting
- Test plumbing and other installed fixtures to ensure proper
- Educate and follow-up with clients on installation and/other
- Follow state laws and regulations and adhere to local building
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relates to the
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to
work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative,
resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average-weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job which are identified essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- The position requires a High School Diploma/GED; or equivalent
work experience. Vocational certification or associate’s degree
- Must have experience using reading technical designs and
- Ability to manage, prioritize and bring to completion multiple
- Climb ladders and work at heights above ground level (maximum
- Ability to work in different environmental working conditions
(e.g. heat, cold, wind, rain).
- Proficiency using plumbing tools, materials, and equipment.
Expert knowledge in piping and ventilation systems.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and
understanding of organization structure, workflow, and operating
- Extensive hours and weekends will be required at times.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background-check
and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of
interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity