A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing academic success. This role will support for the Division of Finance and Administration to prepare, process, and reconcile financial records: financial statements, review data, and ensure financial compliance. Responsible for executing a variety of financial procedures, including month-end and year-end closings, accounts payable and receivable, tax returns, bank reconciliations, general ledger entries, forecasting and budgeting.
Staff Accountants also analyze corporate financial operations to ensure the business is running efficiently. Responsibilities include:
- Prepare accounts payable checks for distribution in a timely manner and maintain appropriate internal records.
- Run system processe (s) to generate college work study checks and conduct review of records and checks prior to the distribution of checks.
- Run system processe (s) to generate student refund checks and conduct review of records and checks prior to the distribution of checks.
- Conduct a detailed analysis of general ledger accounts assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- Prepare journal entries and enter entries in the financial accounting system to post to the general ledger in a timely manner.
- Provide clerical support to the Controller’s Office staff and serve as a back-up to the accounts payable staff on an as needed basis.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations and submit to the Assistant Controller for review by the designated due date.
- Assist in the registration and student refund checks distribution process on an as needed basis.
- Assist the Contracts and Grants Accountant with the following tasks: filing, setting up and input of budgets, preparing journal entries and preliminary financial reports, and creating and maintaining spreadsheets.
- Assist the Assistant Controller and Staff Accountant in other areas on an as needed basis; financial reporting, audit and special projects.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the position.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and time management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of average-weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA), those functions of the job which are identified essential are required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will be given careful consideration.
- The position requires a bachelor’s degree with five (5) plus years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Master's degree and experience in higher education preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and understanding of organization structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Extensive hours and weekends will be required at times.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background-check and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if applicable.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a list of three professional references (at least one from a previous employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens