A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing
academic success. This role will support for the Division of
Finance and Administration to prepare, process, and reconcile
financial records: financial statements, review data, and ensure
financial compliance. Responsible for executing a variety of
financial procedures, including month-end and year-end closings,
accounts payable and receivable, tax returns, bank reconciliations,
general ledger entries, forecasting and budgeting.
Staff Accountants also analyze corporate financial operations to
ensure the business is running efficiently. Responsibilities
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Prepare accounts payable checks for distribution in a timely
manner and maintain appropriate internal records.
- Run system processe (s) to generate college work study checks
and conduct review of records and checks prior to the distribution
- Run system processe (s) to generate student refund checks and
conduct review of records and checks prior to the distribution of
- Conduct a detailed analysis of general ledger accounts assigned
by the immediate supervisor.
- Prepare journal entries and enter entries in the financial
accounting system to post to the general ledger in a timely
- Provide clerical support to the Controller’s Office staff and
serve as a back-up to the accounts payable staff on an as needed
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations and submit to the
Assistant Controller for review by the designated due date.
- Assist in the registration and student refund checks
distribution process on an as needed basis.
- Assist the Contracts and Grants Accountant with the following
tasks: filing, setting up and input of budgets, preparing journal
entries and preliminary financial reports, and creating and
- Assist the Assistant Controller and Staff Accountant in other
areas on an as needed basis; financial reporting, audit and special
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to
work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative,
resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average-weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job which are identified essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- The position requires a bachelor’s degree with five (5) plus
years of experience directly related to the duties and
responsibilities specified. Master's degree and experience in
higher education preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and
understanding of organization structure, workflow, and operating
- Extensive hours and weekends will be required at times.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background-check
and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of
interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity