About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, assign and supervise work of custodial staff. Supervise 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift or a combination of these shifts. Assist the Manager of Housekeeping in the planning of the housekeeping operation of the College.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assign, monitor, and evaluate work assignments of supervised
- Provide training and retraining to assigned custodial staff on
routine work assignments, the use of equipment and supplies and
non-routine custodial tasks such as carpet /floor cleaning
- Perform inspection of completed work assignments and provide
feedback to the employee and the Manager of
- Participate in the hiring and selection process.
- Lead room breakdowns and set-ups as requested from
administrators, staff, faculty, students, and Business Conference
Center clients including requests received during assigned shift,
general housekeeping, mechanical and grounds keeping
- Perform custodial duties as assigned including in cases of
emergency or staff shortage.
- Respond to housekeeping complaints and requests from
administrators, staff, faculty, students, and college
- Investigate custodian's problems and complaints and resolve
when possible; provide feedback to the Manager of Housekeeping as
necessary and recommend disciplinary measures as
- Recommend goals for performance and partner with Manager of
Housekeeping to achieve results in compliance with the college
vision, policies, and procedures.
- Perform equipment maintenance checks, repair as possible, order
parts, and recommend replacements as necessary.
- Monitor and issue custodial supplies to assigned staff and
recommend new orders as needed.
- Responsible for weekend housekeeping operations.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- High School education or an equivalent combination of education
and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be
acquired is required.
- Two to three years of custodial experience is
- Two years of supervisory experience required.
- Knowledge of floor care and carpet cleaning methods is
- Ability to read and write work orders, instructions,
- Ability to use computer (I.E. Microsoft Office, internet and
- Equipment repair experience is preferred.
Physical Working Conditions:
Position will require employees to have
- the ability to stand, walk and move for extended periods of
time (Often - 75% - 100%).
- The ability to detect dirt, dust, stains, and marks. (often 75%
- the ability to detect dirt, dust, stains and marks. (Often 75%
- the ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, push, pull,
and reach in all directions (Occasional - 25% - 50%)
- the ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. (Occasional 25% -
- the ability to perform moderate to strenuous physical labor for
extended periods of time. (Often 50% - 75%)
- the ability to set up and operate mechanical cleaning
equipment. (Occasional 25% to 50%)
- the ability to work at heights and the ability to ascend/descend ladders. (Seldom - 0% - 25%)
- Some shifts use radio communication. Employees on these shifts will be required to have the ability to exchange information clearly.
Job duties may be performed in hot, dusty, dirty environments. Employees may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather
Functional supervision is received from the Manager of Housekeeping. Administrative supervision is received from the Director of Facilities.
Functional supervision is exercised over assigned custodial staff.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 10:30 pm - 7:00 am
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.