Delta State University
Position Type: Staff
Department: Delta State University
Posting Number: 201201044
Full or Part Time: Other
Tenure/Non-Tenure: Non-Tenure Track
Salary Basis: Other
The Healthcare Specialist is responsible for overseeing the medical aspects of the university's response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This person will consult with employees and students who are ill, and will provide medical advice to them regarding the best course of action for their situation. The Healthcare Specialist will serve as safety coordinator and patient advocate, providing education and services for multi-faceted aspects of COVID-19, including testing, results notification, quarantine, isolation, contact tracing, cleaning procedures, and community resources. This person will also work closely with medical staff from Bolivar Medical Center (BMC), as part of the university's partnership with BMC.
This position will be responsible for conducting COVID-19 surveillance and epidemiological investigations in accordance with federal, state, and local guidelines to prevent and control the spread of COVID-19. The Healthcare Specialist will collaborate on strategy with other departments (contact tracing, data management, planning, and logistics protocols) and work with the COVID-19 Response Coordinator to implement strong protocol management.
- Investigate and follow-up on COVID-19 cases, mostly by phone
(although some face to face contact may be necessary) by
interviewing infected individuals to determine the likely source of
illness, close contacts, and the potential for outbreak.
- Follow supervisory guidance to identify public health needs and
develop a public health action plan for exposed persons to prevent
and/or reduce the spread of disease.
- Perform various tasks, including investigation, counseling, and
education. Investigation requires follow-up with the patient to
obtain required disease surveillance data.
- Educate and counsel patients, family members, close contacts,
and partners on disease information, transmission, testing, and
- Refer patients and their contacts to seek follow-up treatment,
case management, and other social services, as needed.
- Communicate effectively with management team, safety and health
staff, and public health partners as necessary.
- Independently prioritize tasks for multiple concurrent
projects, track the progress and status of tasks in detail, and
provide status updates on short notice.
- Participate in coordinated response activities during public
- Develop protocols for isolation and quarantine areas utilizing
best practices provided by the CDC and Mississippi Department of
- Maintain current knowledge of evolving COVID-19 best practices
and monitor regional and national epidemiological data, standard
health indicators, and disaster patterns for analysis and early
detection of trends, disease outbreaks, and/or
- Help assess exposure risk and implement control
- Develop and lead workshops and trainings, which can be
delivered virtually or in person, to the campus community related
to COVID-19 policies and procedures and with an emphasis on the
importance of safe behavior.
- Strengthen emergency health preparedness and response,
particularly in the implementation of strategies through the
development of detailed programs and plans.
- Advise the University's emergency response plan to address
changes in prevalence of the virus on campus and organize and
implement appropriate assessments and responses.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
• RN license in Mississippi required.
• Bachelor’s degree in nursing required. Master’s degree in Public Health, Biological Sciences, or other health related field preferred.
• Two years of relevant experience required.
• Experience in interpreting and implementing CDC and State guidelines.
• Demonstrated background in public health and education.
• Knowledge in the areas of community health centers, emergency preparedness, and/or basic data analysis preferred.
• Experience in a public health setting and knowledge of and experience with best practices for implementing culturally responsive, trauma-informed community health protocols.
OtherCommensurate with experience, qualifications, and university’s resources.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position requires an individual that is self-directed, highly organized, flexible, adaptable, detail-oriented, and has the ability to manage information and data in a strictly confidential manner. Critical thinking and analytical skills as well as excellent customer service and the ability to establish trust quickly are an important aspect of this position. Ability to show empathy to distressed individuals and the ability to communicate strict adherence to public health orders is essential.
Open Date: 07/21/2020
Open Until Filled: Yes
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: Click Here
Delta State University is committed to a policy of equal employment and educational opportunity. Delta State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or veteran status. This policy extends to all programs and activities supported by the University.