Instructor, or Assistant or Associate Professor of Management (open rank)
Position Title: Instructor, or Assistant or Associate Professor of Management (open rank)
Division/Department: Business Department
Reports To: Chair of Business Department
Reports From: Business Department
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
No. of position: 1
Vacancy #: AF-Int-36-2020
Position Announcement close date: August 12, 2020
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
The Department of Business is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position Instructor, or Assistant or Associate Professor of Management (open rank). Rank will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and the needs of the University. It would be expected that successful candidates begin work in the fall semester of 2020. A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The job is located in Kabul, Afghanistan.
This regular faculty appointment is a full-time, nine-month, non-tenure-track faculty position, one-year, three-year renewable, with the potential to be converted to a multi-year position. Teaching responsibilities include a four/four teaching load consisting undergraduate and MBA courses, depending on need. Depending upon enrollments and course availability, faculty may also be offered optional summer courses for supplementary income. In addition to teaching and mentoring, AUAF faculty responsibilities include scholarship and university service. This position is subject to budget availability.
Key outcomes include:
- International quality teaching and learning
- Scholarship that benefits student learning and the mission of the university
- Advancement of the university through service
Duties and Responsibilities
Faculty fulfil the roles and responsibilities described in the Faculty Handbook and university policies and procedures that detail specific faculty duties. Major responsibilities are listed below.
With the exception of holidays, university closures, weekends, and other breaks, faculty are expected to be working on campus in Afghanistan during the base contract period. The base contract period refers to an academic year consisting of two semesters, including pre- and post-semester faculty workshops and advising. The contractual period extends from one week before the start of the first semester to one day after spring graduation, which full-time faculty are required to attend.
Teaching and Mentoring
- Teaches general courses in Management such as Organizational Behavior, Human Resource Management, Leadership, Strategic Management, Business Communications and other specialized topics within the Management field, such as Procurement, Operations Management. And Project Management
- Teach four undergraduate or graduate courses (12 credits) per term, evaluating student work and assessing student learning outcomes.
- Hold regular office hours and work with individual students, acting as academic mentor.
- Remain engaged and current in the academic profession and in their disciplines.
- Remain scholarly active, contributing scholarship that goes beyond professional engagement to include the creation of intellectual products that are available to internal and/or external audiences.
- Contribute to the overall well-being and development of the university.
- Service to the university includes both internal activities and external outreach on the behalf of the institution.
- Service can take many forms, including fostering collegiality, participating in the life of the university, assisting in curriculum review, participating actively in committee work, developing the capacity of external stakeholders on the behalf of AUAF, consulting and grant-writing for the university and other external service to the external community.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline from an accredited university required;
- PhD degree is required for Assistant and Associate rank.
- Significant teaching experience in western higher education and evidence of excellence in university teaching.
- Practical industry work experience is considered a plus.
- Familiarity and experience in using Canvas LMS or other online Learning Management Systems.
- Experience in online teaching considered a plus.
- Experience in advising students both academically and professionally.
- Experience in accreditation processes is considered a plus.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Publications and/or other evidence of professional engagement.
- Experience teaching in international, multicultural, developing and/or post-conflict settings preferred.
- A team player with ability to work independently on departmental projects is essential.
Benefits and Environment
This is an exceptional opportunity to work at a recently formed university in an emerging and rapidly changing society.
The American University of Afghanistan offers a generous benefits package that includes a competitive salary, air transportation, university-provided accommodation, and paid international health care insurance for international employees.
International faculty and staff live and work on AUAF’s 50-acre main campus or the 5-acre campus across the street. The AUAF campuses utilize state-of-the-art security infrastructure and protocols and are protected by a large professional security corps. Transportation between the adjacent campuses or to approved locations and the airport is by armored, guarded vehicles.
To apply, please send as a single PDF document: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), statement of teaching purpose, and contact information for three references to email@example.com Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please, include AF-Int-36-2020 - Instructor, or Assistant or Associate Professor of Management (open rank) in the subject line of the email, otherwise, the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. A written test or example of work may be used as a form of screening.
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree-granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe environments, but safety and security are to a great degree contingent on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside of AUAF’s control. Applicants should carefully consider and evaluate their safety and security in Afghanistan.