The Thomas E. Cook Counseling Center has three positions open for an Embedded Counselor. The Center invites applications for a mental health clinician to serve in one of the three following areas, the Pamplin College of Business, the College of Engineering, or, the College of Science at Virginia Tech. Located in the College, the embedded counselor will serve a dual role of providing direct clinical and educational services to students while also providing consultation and training opportunities for the faculty, advisors, and staff of the college. The position will report to the director of the counseling center. Depending on the area placed, the position will also coordinate with either the Pamplin Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs, or, the college associate dean of academic affairs to learn and participate in the community culture.
The embedded counselor will provide direct clinical services to undergraduate and graduate students of the college including initial consultation and assessment, individual counseling, and make appropriate referrals for psychiatric consultations and group therapy. The embedded counselor will be available for drop-in hours, programmatic offerings to students, and informal consultations.
Within the college, the embedded counselor will be available for consultation with faculty, advisors, and staff regarding student mental health concerns. Additional activities may include participation in orientation for new students, faculty, and staff; educational programming in suicide prevention; attendance at department and college meetings; and other collaborations to be determined.
• Applicants will be licensed or license-eligible in the their mental health field and must hold the appropriate degree for licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia, e.g., doctoral degree for psychologists, master’s degree for counseling, marriage and family therapy, social work.
• Experience in providing focused therapeutic interventions with a multidisciplinary team.
• Experience and interest in collaboration with academic departments, faculty and staff.
• Training and experience in delivering culturally competent interventions.
• Experience in working with undergraduate and graduate students.
• Familiarity with the educational demands of a business college, engineering college, or science college.
• Ability to speak a foreign language, e.g., Spanish, Mandarin.
• Experience in outreach and educational programming, e.g., suicide prevention gate-keeper programs.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Chris Flynn at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: July 16, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Education Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Counsellor Education Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg