Adjunct Professor_470.774 Nonprofit Governance & Executive Leadership
The Advanced Academic Programs (AAP) unit of the Krieger School seeks an Adjunct Professor to refresh and teach the online course of 470.774 –Nonprofit Governance & Executive Leadership for the Master of Arts degree in Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Management and the Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Management .
The MA in NGO Management is the first of its kind to be international in scope, but domestic in practice. Students acquire the leadership, management, and organizational skills needed to succeed in the nonprofit sector, both domestically in the U.S., and abroad. The MA in NGO Management is made up of ten asynchronous online courses (6 core courses, 3 electives, 1 capstone), with the occasional 3-week study abroad opportunity (depending on the season). Courses focus on leadership, fundraising, grant writing, strategic planning, project management, communications and resource development. Students complete their studies with a capstone project that focuses on a real-world issue which is relevant to present or future employers. This course is one of the core course requirements of the degree.
We invite applications to fill an adjunct teaching position (10-15 hours/week), non-tenure track, semester-by-semester hire. The degree and certificate programs are fully online. The adjunct professor will report to the Program Director for the MA in NGO Management and the Certificate in Nonprofit Management.
As the nation's oldest and one of the most prestigious research universities, Johns Hopkins offers high-quality master's degrees and post-baccalaureate education to students located in the greater Baltimore and Washington, D.C. regions and throughout the United States and abroad.
In this course, 470.774 –Nonprofit Governance & Executive Leadership, students will advance their understanding of self-governing nonprofit organizations by focusing on the expectations, challenges, and opportunities of nonprofit boards and their executive leadership. This course covers the basic responsibilities of nonprofit boards according to law, custom, and best practices, and it includes ethical concepts, public attitudes, and contemporary legislative and regulatory issues. The course explores theories of effective governance and executive leadership, and it examines how ethical considerations relate to perceptions of excellence and shape the way staff and volunteer leaders manage people and money. In the discussions, there will be opportunities to compare the role of boards in US nonprofit groups with those in other countries.
Instructional and administrative responsibilities of the position include:
- Teach one online graduate course (unless there is a demand for more than one section) using Blackboard per year;
- Personalize the graduate course through Blackboard by identifying relevant academic materials, resources, digital media, recording original content for lectures; designing learning objectives and assignments.
- Use online tools such as Voicethread, Panopto and Adobe Connect;
- Grade assignments and provide regular feedback to students on the online discussion threads and in the grade center;
- Answer student inquiries via email within 24 - 48 hours;
- Complete other administrative duties associated with teaching as assigned;
- Report to and be in regular touch with the Program Director on policy updates, faculty summits, advisory committees, curriculum development, etc.
- PhD or academic equivalent is highly preferred but not mandatory, must possess a master's degree at an accredited college or university in nonprofit management, finance, business administration, business development or international development or a related field with at least ten years of related experience;
- Preferably 10+ years of experience working as an Executive Director or CEO for a nonprofit(s);
- Demonstrative experience with nonprofits and nonprofit management either in position of executive leadership, or on a board or advisory committee;
- Familiarity with overseeing/working with a diverse Board of Directors in ongoing development and implementation of strategic plans and finance.
- Strong familiarity on the general responsibilities of an executive leader, such as operations, program development, external communications and partnerships, strategic planning, new business, fundraising, finance and administration, team management, and ethics, among others.
- Familiarity with teaching onsite or online courses at a graduate level, and working with online or digital media or relevant software, Outlook, Blackboard, Microsoft Office Suite and any nonprofit accounting software/databases (such as Quickbooks, Razors Edge, others);
- College-level teaching experience is highly desirable with a proven record of effective online teaching and familiarity with adult learning techniques, and various learning management systems.
How to apply:
For consideration please apply by August 1, 2020. Please submit the following: (a) cover letter; (b) curriculum vitae; (c) list of two references with names, titles, institutions, email addresses, and telephone numbers; and (d) any end-of-semester student evaluations for any previous courses taught (if available). Candidates may online apply online by clicking the Apply Now button below. If you have any questions, you may contact the Program Director, Karin Orr, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Johns Hopkins University is committed to equal opportunity for its faculty, staff, and students. To that end, the university does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or other legally protected characteristic. The university is committed to providing qualified individuals access to all academic and employment programs, benefits and activities on the basis of demonstrated ability, performance and merit without regard to personal factors that are irrelevant to the program involved.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Business & Management Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Business Administration Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Management Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Other Business & Management Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore