Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences
A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing academic success. The Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences provides oversight of existing academic programs and the development of new programs to meet the ever-changing needs of a global society. The Dean is expected to be a leader in their discipline and in the broader community. As a member of the Provost’s leadership team, the Dean serves as the chief academic and administrative officer for the School of Arts and Sciences. In this role the Dean is responsible for leadership and oversight of the School’s academic and research enterprise as well as leading the administration, development, and direction of academic programs, strategic planning, and fundraising.
- Cultivating local, national, and global relationships and sources of support and working closely with the Office of Advancement to secure major gifts and to promote the image of the School and its programs.
- Fostering a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives, to attract, recruit, and retain top faculty, staff, and students.
- Creating and implementing a student-centered vision and strategy that includes measurable outcomes for student success, through a process that engenders trust and includes faculty, staff, student, alumni, and industry
- Leading faculty and staff to develop existing and nurture new academic and research programs that yield exceptional outcomes.
- Developing and implementing a recruitment and marketing plan that shows evidence of faculty and staff involvement, measurable annual goals for new students and for retention of students, and promoting collaboration with industry to develop and strengthen the program curricula to meet market needs.
- Creating professional development opportunities for faculty and staff to upgrade their expertise in the implementation of innovative pedagogy and andragogy, the use of technology, and the development of scholarship/creative expression within their discipline.
- Providing for structured, faculty-led curriculum reviews and updates that reflect standards and changes in the discipline; ensuring assessment plans are in place including production of annual reports on both internal student learning outcomes and program outcomes; and ensuring continued certification and the establishment and maintenance of accreditation of degree programs.
- Strengthening relationships with alumni and other strategic external partners to support the School’s research, scholarly, educational, service, and fundraising goals; identifying and partnering with leading organizations to promote growth for the field and employment opportunities for students.
- Collaborating effectively with appropriate industries and other constituents in the region and throughout the state of Florida and representing FMU and the School of Arts and Sciences with external communities.
- Prioritizing expenditures and effectively managing resources in a manner that demonstrates accountability and support for the School’s mission.
- Managing academic processes within the unit including the review and approval of student transfer transcripts, graduation application and clearance processes, drop-and-add, etc.
- Providing accurate, timely responses to requested information and ongoing implementation of strategies to ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
- Recommending renewal of faculty contracts, compensation, promotion, tenure, honors and awards, non-renewal or dismissal in collaboration with the Department Chairs.
- Establishing a culture of assessment and continuous improvement in the School, leading to innovations in pedagogy and creative opportunities to challenge and nurture students in the pursuit of academic excellence.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relates to the position.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills . Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and time management skills . Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse constituents .
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of average-weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA), those functions of the job which are identified essential are required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will be given careful consideration.
- This position requires a doctorate in a field represented in the School of Arts and Sciences with an accumulation of scholarship, service, and teaching commiserate with the rank of full professor; an established record of teaching, research, external funding, and scholarship in the discipline.
- Extensive hours and weekends will be required at times.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background-check and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if applicable.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a list of three professional references (at least one from a previous employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens