The Hume Center for National Security and Technology at Virginia Tech has an opening for a Program Manager for its research laboratories at the rank of Project Associate. The Program Manager will be responsible for program execution for the functional units within the Hume Center for National Security and Technology. The functional units include: the Information Systems Laboratory (ISL), based in Arlington, Virginia, and the Aerospace and Ocean Systems Laboratory (AOSL), the Electronic Systems Laboratory (ESL), and the Office of Education and Outreach, based in Blacksburg, VA. The position will report to the Associate Director of Program Management. These programs are funded by a variety of defense and intelligence agencies such as DARPA, IARPA, the Office of Naval Research, and others.
Program Managers will support growth initiatives and be responsible for the day-to-day programmatic, administrative, budgetary, and contractual aspects of sponsored research programs, in support of principal investigators who are responsible for both the development and technical execution of research programs. Work with research staff to clearly identify and document project requirements, develop work breakdown structures and realistic schedules, manage resources, and document risk. Ensure principal investigators and lab directors are aware of project status and issues. Manage program personnel loading, program risk tracking, and program expenditures such as purchasing and travel; ensure appropriate contract burn rates; prepare initial drafts of sponsor reporting requirements. Maintain awareness of upcoming business opportunities with sponsors. Program Managers will also support proposal efforts for new research program opportunities.
The level of position will be determined based upon experience and credentials.
The position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, and offer of employment requires US citizenship.
Program Manager will be responsible for supporting researchers in the execution of programs focused in:
1) ISL: cybersecurity and big data, with a particular emphasis on critical infrastructure cybersecurity, deep learning, activity based intelligence, and analytic forecasting
2) ESL: RF machine learning, digital communications, automotive cybersecurity, wireless systems and radar platforms
3) AOSL: satellite systems, ocean systems, autonomous control, space domain awareness and system optimization and orchestration
4) Education & Outreach: experiential learning programs, scholarship administration, student recruitment, and sponsor engagement
• An earned Master's degree in Business Administration, Project Management or related technical field with program management experience. Alternatively, an exception may be made for an earned bachelor's degree in a related technical or professional field with significant professional relevant experience.
• Ability to work as a team member in developing and managing projects.
• Good communication skills, with demonstrated experience delivering formal and informal presentations, written proposals, and reports.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
• Must be a US Citizen.
• Demonstrated experience working as a member of a team in developing and managing projects.
• Demonstrated ability to take on broad tasks, identify the steps necessary to execute them, ensure their proper execution, and succinctly convey their results.
• Experience working in and/or with the Department of Defense and Intelligence Community.
• Experience in formal project management, defense contracting, financial management and research proposal development.
• Formal training and certification in project management such as CAPM or PMP.
• Experience managing federally funded research programs.
• Active security clearance at the TS/SCI level.
• Experience working in academic research environment, including with students
• Specific technical expertise in any of the following fields is desired: signals intelligence (SIGINT), electronic warfare (EW), cybersecurity, machine learning, digital communications, information operations (IO), high performance computing, satellite communications and reconnaissance, computer network attack (CNA), and computer network defense (CND), and/or computer network operations (CNO).
• PMP, Project Management Certification
Commensurate with experience
August 3, 2020
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (insert name) at (insert email address) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: July 13, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.