Junior Database Administrator
DIVISION: Information Technology Services
DEPARTMENT: Enterprise Computing
BASIC FUNCTION: This position will serve as a Junior Oracle Database Administrator (DBA) for the Information Technology Services department supporting multiple Oracle databases and ensuring their performance, availability, and security. Responsibilities include: providing technical expertise in the setup, implementation, and maintenance of relational database management systems and associated applications that support mission-critical resources for University day-to-day operations. Monitoring and tuning databases to ensure optimal performance as well as ensuring the security, integrity, and recovery of data. Initial installation, upgrades, and patches to the test and production Banner student eco-systems and other applications, to include Oracle-based technologies, such as database and application servers, as well as other business, reporting, and learning applications. Installing, configuring, upgrading, optimizing, and maintaining Oracle-based technologies, including, but not limited to: Oracle Databases, Oracle Grid, Forms and Reports, and Oracle Application Servers. Supporting Apache Tomcat software for Ellucian applications. Supporting Data Warehousing architectures and solutions, including Ellucian operations data stores (ODS) on an Oracle database platform.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, or related field, or experience equivalent to the degree. Proven experience as an Oracle Database Administrator running mission-critical services on multiple moderate size relational databases. A track record of working in a team that delivers a high quality service, and practical experience in monitoring and tuning Oracle databases in a moderately high availability environment. Experience working with Banner or another higher education administrative software on an Oracle platform is preferred. Strong analytical skills, problem-solving skills, and the ability to perform in pressure situations are required. Position requires knowledge of industry standards in information systems design, information technology security practices, application servers, and database design. Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, in a professional manner, with an emphasis on service quality and have excellent written and verbal communication skills is required. Prefer working knowledge of groovy and grails, Java, COBOL, C, PL/SQL, scripting languages such as bash, PHP and/or perl. Knowledge of Banner or similar higher education administrative software preferred.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a technical field.
EXPERIENCE: 2+ years experience in Oracle database administration and development. 4 year college degree in computer and related fields is preferred. Proficient in Unix shell script program is a plus. Knowledge and experience in DB2, MS Access or MS SQL Server is a plus.
- Installing, configuring, and maintaining Oracle based technologies including Oracle Database, Oracle Internet Application Server, Oracle Fusion Middleware and any required technologies in support of Banner and Banner components.
- Additional duties include and are not limited to the implementation and configuration of application components within those Banner Technologies.
- Providing detailed planning information to technical analysts, programmers and end users to assist in planning of service requests, implementation steps, corrective actions, upgrade recommendations and optimization steps.
- Coordinating physical and logical changes to enterprise databases and Banner applications; and coding, testing, and implementing databases.
- Designing logical and physical databases structures and/or reviewing description of database design changes to understand how they affect the physical database structure.
- Establishing physical database initialization parameters for effective performance tuning.
- Calculating optimum values for database parameters such as amount of computer memory to be used by each instance.
- Developing and implementing the backup and recovery of all databases using various methodologies.
- Specifying the user access level for each segment of one or more data items such as inserting, replacing, retrieving, or deleting data to ensure the database integrity.
- Monitoring the database access security and specifying which users can have specific privileges and which data can be accessed outside the ERP applications.
- Monitoring and optimizing system performance using index tuning, disk optimization, and other methods.
- Answering user questions.
- Conferring with co-workers to determine impact of database changes on other systems and staff cost for making changes to database.
- Modifying database programs to increase processing performance, referred to as performance tuning.
- Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
ITS - Admin
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield