DEPARTMENT: Enterprise Computing
BASIC FUNCTION: Under the direction of AVP, Enterprise Systems and Director, Enterprise Platforms, Administers, maintains, troubleshoots, architects, and develops Fairfield cloud computing environment, specifically AWS and additional public cloud providers as selected by the University. Serve as Subject Matter Expert for IaaS, Paas, and hybrid-cloud environments. Develop and/or deploy applications to cloud environments and suggest cloud-based solutions to improve ITS computing environment. Assists University partners with design and deployment of cloud initiatives.
EDUCATION: High School diploma or equivalent. BA/BS or equivalent related experience desired. Advanced Certification in or knowledge of AWS, Azure, GCP is desirable; at a minimum, applicant should have or be willing to obtain within the first 6 months AWS Certified Solution Architect certification.
EXPERIENCE: 2 years of technical field experience. Ability to research and support new cloud services and software is a necessity. Must have a strong background application development and deployment as well as experience with AWS. Must possess excellent interpersonal communication skills and have a customer-service orientation toward internal staff and campus users.
Must have in-depth knowledge of the items in bold, and some experience with the other core competencies:
Java/Grails development Redhat Openshift Git/Git Lab
Jenkins Bash Scripting AWS EC2
AWS S3 AWS Development Environment Application Deployment
Azure Google Cloud Platform
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED: Must demonstrate an advanced working knowledge of cloud services; must possess strong troubleshooting skills; needs excellent communication skills; must be a motivated self-starter, especially in the area of learning new technology; must possess an excellent customer service orientation toward internal staff and campus users and have knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures appropriate for a technical support field.
To administer several enterprise systems. This involves:
- Controlling access levels or delegating access control to power users of AWS
- Creating and enforcing user polices in AWS
- Managing updates and changes within AWS
- Monitoring system health and usage
- Identifying opportunities for process and policy improvement to increase performance and functionality
- Documenting relevant work tasks for distribution to peers and users
- Addressing break/fix issues
To determine cloud computing needs. This involves:
- Ability to evaluate commercial and open source solutions.
- Making recommendations on architecture and design
- Helping manage relationship with key cloud computing vendors
- Ability to embark upon major enterprise system changes or upgrades
To work directly with faculty and staff on enterprise projects.
- Work directly with departments on Web Hosting Issues
- Work with Internal ITS staff on cloud projects
- Work with AWS and AWS partners on Internal and Customer Facing Deployments (Including … EC2, S3,, etc.)
To provide technical advice to ITS support staff.
To participate in the growth and development of the department. This involves:
- Attending departmental staff meetings as requested
- Communicating effectively with supervisor concerning pertinent departmental and university matters
- Promoting an image of efficiency and courtesy throughout the university community and consistent with the department’s mission.
To promote safe and secure working conditions. This involves:
- Promoting the proper utilization of equipment and materials
- Reporting immediately to supervisor any unsafe working conditions.
To perform other related duties as dictated by responsibilities.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
ITS - Admin
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org