Solid Waste and Recycling Driver - CDL
Facilities Management invites applications for a Solid Waste and Recycling CDL Equipment Operator. This position operates front-load trash and rear-load recycling trucks on our beautiful Boulder campus. Drivers are responsible for providing the pick-up service of containers filled with waste, compost, or recyclable material. Containers may weigh in excess of 500 pounds and at times require drivers to maneuver wheeled containers to the collection’s vehicle. The driver will transport the material to a local transfer or recycle facility when trucks reach legal load capacity. The driver will navigate high traffic and congested roadways, driveways, alleyways, and lots with heavy pedestrian traffic. Highly skilled backing maneuvers are essential to successfully perform this job. Job works in all elements, frequently exiting the vehicle to manually move heavy containers and dumpsters.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Facilities Management's Recycling department collects over 1000 tons of recyclables per year and over 2000 tons of trash from the academic and research buildings on the CU Boulder campus.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Operates vehicles to collect waste and recycling material by entering and exiting the cab of a truck an extreme amount and delivers material to the transfer station or recycling center.
- Perform various routes on time safely, traffic concerns, and vehicle load operational capacity under consideration. Can drive refuse trucks and other commercial vehicles rated 26,000 GVW or more.
- Complete routes within the allotted timeframe and transport the material to a transfer or recycle facility when trucks reach legal load capacity or once the route is complete.
- The driver will navigate a high-traffic campus environment and congested roadways, driveways, alleyways, and parking lots.
- The driver must have the ability to pack out 65-gallons and 95-gallon carts with adequate strength and no strain with proper technique.
- Can follow route assignments on paper and electronically as directed and complete end-of-day documentation and check out process.
- Conducts self-inspections of work areas and practices to eliminate potentially hazardous conditions, including following regulations issued by Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Performs all duties and assists other drivers as directed to meet customer needs.
- Operates vehicle in accordance with Occupational and Safety Health Act and Department of Transportation requirements as well as all local, state, and federal laws.
- Completes pre- and post-trip inspections results and collections logs on the appropriate forms, ensuring all forms are filled out properly. This includes, but is not limited to recording mileage, fuel, and other fluid usages and completes a statistical summary of material by the route.
- Collects weight tickets and forms and submits daily to administrative staff.
- Performs routine maintenance on dumpsters, carts, and associated equipment. This can include basic welding, repairing broken items, and disassembly as well as disposal of items beyond repair.
- Performs pre- and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicle and documents checks to utilize the standard DVIR (Driver Vehicle Inspection Report).
- Inspections confirm vehicle suitability for route completion. Incumbent may add fluids, and perform other maintenance tasks if needed. However, should a vehicle fail during a pre-trip inspection or during a route, the driver will evaluate or operate a suitable alternative as well as notify the supervisor.
- Unspecified duties directed by the supervisor to maintain the operational readiness of the department and the campus.
- Attends and participates in all scheduled training programs, briefings, and meetings as required.
- Complete continuing education to establish or maintain proficiency in-vehicle operation capacities.
- The position is provided 15 minutes in the beginning and/or end of each day to complete time cards and other administrative reports. Time cards are required to be completed daily.
- As an essential services employee, the position is responsible to respond to other duties as assigned on an "as needed" basis. This position may be assigned work at the EQ II level up to 20% of the time as a part of the position’s on the job training.
What You Should Know
The applicant must be able to pass a Criminal and Motor Vehicle background check.
Four 10 hours shifts rotating every three months. Rotations are Monday-Thursday, Friday-Sunday, or Monday-Friday. Monday to Friday rotation works modified hours daily to equal 40 hours for the week period. May be required to work overtime or off-hours based on-campus needs.
What We Can Offer
Starting Salary is $46,000.
- Comprehensive Medical Plans.
- Tuition Assistance Benefit.
- Retirement Plans.
- Paid holidays and vacation days.
- Free Eco Pass provides access to all Local, Limited, Express, and Regional bus service.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Supportive. Be Resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Current Colorado resident.
- Must have a valid Colorado Commercial Driver’s license.
- At least three years of experience in the operation of heavy-duty equipment (equipment capable of carrying loads weighing more than 4 tons, and having two or more axles and two or more gears).
- Current Department of Transportation (DOT) medical card.
What You Will Need
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Customer service experience.
- Interpersonal skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience operating a front-load trash truck.
- Experience operating rear-load trash trucks.
- Experience with minor welding.
- Basic computer skills including the ability to enter timecards electronically plus monitor and respond to e-mail correspondence.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
a. Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy to HRESmail@colorado.edu or send via fax at 303-492-4693 and reference the job to which you are applying.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by October 25, 2020, for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
This position is designated “essential services.” The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Safety & Security Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder