Construction Safety Specialist
The Construction Safety Specialist performs duties in support of the University’s Environmental Health and Safety Programs. Under general direction, performs a full range of moderate to complex duties in support of the University’s construction and contractor safety program. The purpose of this role is to manage safety and risk associated with construction projects and contracted work to ensure compliance with all applicable environmental health and safety regulations. The Safety Specialist will review and assist in the preparation and implementation of health and safety plans for all of our construction projects, as well as identify safety issues, recommend and implement safety strategies, priorities, and policies to address job site safety. They will also be responsible for responding to regulatory issues and client requests, conducting required site environmental and safety inspections. They will be responsible for developing and implementing a Contractor Safety Program. The Safety Specialist will be involved in project pre-planning meetings and will help to identify safety and compliance concerns including but not limited to permitting and hazardous building materials surveys.
- Oversight and management of construction and contractor safety
- Develop and implement safety programs
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Expert knowledge of Cal/OSHA occupational safety regulations
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge and ability to interpret and apply federal, state and local environmental regulations.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle. Ability to pass CSU Defensive Driving in order to drive automobile, mid-size truck, and/or electric cart
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability and willingness to be “on call” for emergency response at all times (24 hours per day, 7 days per week)
- Knowledge and ability of identifying existing and predictable hazards in the surroundings or working conditions that are unsanitary or dangerous
- Extensive and in depth knowledge in project management including research and analytical methodologies. Ability to interpret and integrate complex date and information to formulate courses of action which have broad and far reaching impact.
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Six years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- OSHA 30hr Construction Safety or CalOSHA 500 certification
- Four year degree with a construction, safety or engineering background
- Minimum of four years of construction safety experience with expert knowledge of CAL-OSHA regulations for the construction industry.
- Five to eight years of construction safety experience leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, and programs. Knowledge of environmental regulations related to the construction industry.
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist, Exempt III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $7,300/month - $7,516/month
Hiring Range: $5,908/month - $11,481/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
- List of References
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: October 23, 2019 through November 6, 2019 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: July 08, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Other Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose