BASIC FUNCTION: Manages all aspects of library information technology including the performance, configuration, and integrity of the Library’s hosted ILS and optimization of routines and functionality to improve staff workflows and users’ experiences through public interfaces . Provides library systems technology expertise, management and leadership within the library and contributes to a collaborative vision for library systems. Positions the Library to understand and capitalize on new technological developments to facilitate the missions of the Library and University. Establishes and maintains effective cooperative and collaborative relationships with a variety of campus partners in support of library and campus-wide technological goals.
UNUSUAL WORK CONDITIONS: Physical requirements: mobility; must be able to lift materials off shelf. Requires some evening and weekend hours.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED:
EDUCATION: Graduate degree in Library & Information Science (MLS or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited program, second Master’s in subject-specific field is preferred or equivalent related experience.
- Two or more years of professional library experience, preferably in an academic library,
- Demonstrated knowledge of integrated library systems, preferably Alma / Primo VE from ExLibris,
- Working knowledge of server-side programming languages such as PHP, Python, Ruby, and Node.js or like programs/languages,
- Working knowledge of server administration involving Linux and Apache,
- Working knowledge of database systems such as MySQL,
- Certification as an Ex Libris Alma / Primo Administrator,
- Supervisory experience,
- Project management experience,
- Strong commitment to innovative, user-centered service,
- Experience with Digital Collections & Repository Systems such as CONTENTdm, Omeka, DigitalCommons, and ArchivesSpace,
- Awareness of issues surrounding scholarly communication, digital humanities, data management, and open access,
- Demonstrated commitment to service and professional development.
Ability to use technology in creative ways to solve problems and/or facilitate workflows. Creative approach to the development of new services and commitment to responsive and innovative service is essential. Ability to interact effectively and work productively, cooperatively, and collaboratively with a variety of individuals and groups across the University. Must be self-directed, well organized, and able to meet multiple deadlines. Demonstrated ability to communicate, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences. Must be results-oriented, flexible, self-motivated, and have an ability to collaborate with colleagues in a goal-oriented library team.
REPORTS TO: Dean of the Library and University Librarian
Manages all aspects of library information technology including the performance, configuration, and integrity of the Library’s hosted ILS (Alma) and optimization of routines and functionality to improve staff workflows and users’ experiences through public interfaces. This involves:
- troubleshooting system and openURL problems,
- serving as primary liaison with system vendors,
- attending and participating in vendor users’ group meetings to stay apprised of developments,
- improving system integration,
- documenting system changes,
- implementing new technologies,
- coordinating software upgrades,
- developing scripts and queries for data loads and extractions of library data,
- supporting the maintenance and troubleshooting of patron authentication services,
- ensuring system security and privacy of user data contained therein.
Provides library systems technology expertise, management and leadership within the library and contributes to a collaborative vision for library systems. This involves:
- participating in strategic planning for Library information technology needs,
- participating in the evaluation and implementation of emerging technologies and services,
- investigating and testing emerging technologies and products, evaluating potential Library uses, and presenting and training new technologies to Library staff,
- helping to determine current and future Library information technology and infrastructure requirements to meet customer information needs and recommending solutions, actions, and changes based on changing circumstances and needed adjustments,
- assisting in coordinating departmental projects and initiatives,
- acting as the technical contact for various library systems and providing customized reporting of usage.
Establishes and maintains effective cooperative and collaborative relationships with a variety of campus partners in support of library and campus-wide technological goals. This involves:
- acting as the Library’s primary liaison to University-wide ITS for all technology matters,
- reporting and resolving all technology and Fairfield University site access issues to ITS,
- working to maximize automation between Library and University systems,
- managing the library computer refresh cycle.
Collaborates with other librarians to perform outreach and communicates information about the Library’s online resources and services to clients.
Participates in the Library’s Faculty Partnership Program as a librarian partner to one or more academic units, or as a functional specialist.
Participates in the professional work of the Library and department. This involves:
- participating in the discussion and formulation of Library policies, procedures, in the resolution of problems, and dissemination of information,
- monitoring developments in librarianship through attendance at meetings and workshops, and the reading of professional literature,
- promoting an image of efficiency, professionalism, and courtesy throughout the University community and consistent with the Library’s mission,
- contributing to the public relations and marketing of the Library,
- acting as a responsible committee and/or task force representative,
- attending staff meetings as requested,
- communicating effectively with supervisor concerning pertinent Library and/or University matters,
- hiring, training, and supervising student workers as necessary.
Promotes safe and secure working conditions. This involves:
- promoting the proper utilization of equipment, materials and staff,
- notifying supervisor immediately of any unsafe working conditions.
Performs other related duties as directed or dictated by responsibilities.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Academic - Admin
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield