PRN Staff Nurse
Schedule: PRN, as-needed
The Staff Nurse uses a team approach to healthcare, applying nursing processes, medical procedure and testing, critical thinking and referral. Effectively interacts with students, parents, physicians and other health care providers with the aim of assisting students to assume responsibility for their own health and wellness.
This position is considered “Essential Personnel” in the event that:
- an emergency occurs on the PEA Campus or in the vicinity that would impact PEA;
- inclement weather forces the closing of campus or;
- other emergency events deemed appropriate.
Essential Personnel are required to report to or remain at work if instructed to do so if contacted directly by the supervisor (or his/her designee), the Principal or a member of the Principal’s Staff (Leadership Team).
Health and Well-Being Promotion
- Performs comprehensive physical assessments independent of other nursing colleagues.
- Uses critical thinking in evaluating the needs of each student, making appropriate referrals as needed to NP/PA/MD, counselors, athletic trainers, nutritionist and/or outside MDs.
- Ensures that physicians and outside providers are provided comprehensive diagnostic information.
Personal Nursing Care
- Independently initiates and implements nursing care plan.
- Works as part of a team to provide care for crisis intervention, acute illness, injury, and emotional concerns.
- Admits students to Health Center for overnight observation and treatment.
- Draws blood, calls in prescriptions, dispenses medications, administers immunizations, and performs other medical procedures and tests as deemed necessary and ordered by NP/PA/MD.
- Observes students who pose safety concerns on a one-on-one basis.
General Health Services Support
- Develops relationships of trust built on respect, ethics, professionalism and effective communications.
- Uses effective teaching and counseling skills.
- Uses concise, thorough documentation to promote continuity of care and keep health records complete, accurate and up-to-date.
- Effectively communicates with parents, faculty, health services team, and outside providers while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
- Follows LHWC protocol and procedures, adheres to NH Board of Nursing scope of practice, and maintains competencies.
Incumbent is expected to work with a high level of independence and autonomy, and exercise a high degree of initiative, influence, and judgment in decisions impacting staff and department operations .
Expected to solve problems or address issues that require immediate attention.
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, Dean of Students office, PEA administrative and academic offices, faculty, coaches, and staff. External contacts may include parents, outside organizations, visitors and local community neighbors .
- RN with current nursing license required.
- 3 - 5 years’ previous experience working with adolescents in a healthcare setting.
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Thorough knowledge of professional nursing principles, methods and procedures; anatomy and physiology applicable to assigned duties; and medical supplies and equipment used in nursing practice.
- Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Ability to analyze emergency situations accurately and take prompt action.
- Working knowledge of applicable state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to registered nursing.
- Patient assessment skills.
- Ability to apply good clinical judgment.
- Ability to plan work, establishes priorities, and remains flexible.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including extended hours, weekends, and holidays
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust and credibility.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed.
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including stressful situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work and will require the ability to remain standing for extended periods of time, go up and down flights of steps, lift and push heavy objects as well as stoop, squat, bend, kneel, crouch, and lift.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50lbs without assistance.
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example using a keyboard.
- Communication skills using the spoken and written word.
- Ability to see with normal parameters.
- Ability to use a visual display terminal with continuous wrist movement on a keyboard.
- Ability to hear within normal range.