University Code 33241 University Title Scientist 1 University Job Family Research - Providers ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search National Working Title Research Scientist Position Number 590190 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Dentistry / Philips Institute Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Research Scientist will apply complex scientific knowledge to create and carry out experiments proposed in Dr. Wang’s laboratory. The main focus will be on determining the role of anti-inflammatory signaling network in regulation of oral bacterial infection induced periodontal inflammation and the interaction between oral bacteria and epithelial cells using the approach of immunology, microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, and animal models.
Specifically, these investigations will include the regulatory function of multiple signaling pathways such as SGK1, JAK3, PI3K, Wnt3-Dvl3, FoxO1 in porphyromonas gingivalis-induced periodontal inflammation. The other focus of this position will be the interaction between P. gingivalis and epithelial cells, along with the influence of oral bacteria-mediated immune milieu on the progression of HNSCC . Additionally, this position must be able to deal with a multi-dimensional working environment that will require excellent organizational skills as well as scientific skills.
The scientist will also manage while training students, post-docs, graduate students, and other research personnel regarding appropriate laboratory techniques as related to this research.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Ph.D. in Immunology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Tumor Biology or equivalent training and/or experience
- Have a wide range of microbiology and immunology, molecular biology and biochemistry experience and ability
- Significant hands-on experience of T cell immune function assay
- Ability to isolate and culture primary cells and cell lines
- Experience with molecular cloning
- Experience with luciferase-based transcription assays
- Experience of analyzing mouse xenograft and 4NQO water tumor models
- Must be self-motivated and reliable
- Able to work both independently and as a part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail in experimental techniques and record keeping is critical
- Must keep meticulous records of experimentation procedure and results both electronically and manually
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as an employee at VCU
Preferred Hiring Standards
Ability to analyze mass spectrometry data and experience on PTM (post translational modification) assay
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $45,000 - $55,000 Application Process/Additional Information
Please note: A Curriculum Vitae, cover letter and three (3) reference letters must be included with your application. You will not be able to complete your application if any of the required documents are missing.
Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm Job Open Date 06/16/2020 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Is this a restricted position? Yes Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position Yes- A pre-employment fingerprint background check will be required. Resource Critical No Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/99223 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Are you a current VCU employee?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond